These vegan friendly paleo magic cookie bars are a healthy remake of the classic! You’ll never know they’re gluten, grain, dairy and refined sugar free!
PIN Paleo Magic Cookie Bars
M M M Magic, Magic, Magic
I got the magic in meeeeeeeee.
NAME THAT SONG. If you guessed “Magic,” welllll, you get an EXTRA Paleo Magic Cookie Bar. GO YOU.
But fer realsies.
I don’t personally have the magic in me but, you guys, these paleo cookie bars? M to the A-G-I-C is what you feel as your tongue tastes the crunchy crusty-goodness followed by the layer of crispety, toasted pecans then munches through that sweet, melty chocolate that I know your chocolate-ALL-the-things self will get REALLY excited over, THEN there’s flaky coconut andddd it all gets wrapped up in this crazy-good thick and creamy coconut milk and honey combination that sort of just makes your taste buds wonder what hit them.
And then you mustmustmust repeat the above steps (a few times, if we’re being honest) JUST so you can really be SURE of what in fact DID hit those taste buds.
And, I’m like THHHIIIISSSS sure (that’s the internetz equivalent of flinging your arms wide to show some really big amount of space) that you’re going to feel the magical-deliciousness right from the moment these perfect little paleo cookie bars enter your face-space, and probably even for a while after.
That may have been because I just sort of ate the whole pan of this magic cookie bars recipe at once though. You know how things like that just sort of happen in life sometimes right? Right.
Magic Bars/7 Layers Bars/ Hello Dolly Bars are not a new and happening thing that my food-creating brain dreamed up. Whatever you call them, they’ve been around since the dawn of time – or around there at least – and you’ve probably had them one billion times in your life.
Which means I kind of just want to be you. Consuming one billion paleo magic cookie bars is BASICALLY what my life goals look like.
But, I digress.
What you probably have not had is magic bars that are super-secret-ninja-like in the health category because they don’t got any of those gluten/grain/refined sugar/dairy things in them. Like, you caveman-eating friends AND vegan friends can eat a pan of cookie bars and still be like “I JUST STUCK TO MY DIET OF CHOICE AND STILL HAD DELICIOUS TREATS, WHATS UP!”
Or you could just eat one and think it’s really tasty…without turning into a gangster dessert-eating-person for some reason.
But, that would OBVI not be as fun.
Unlike the chocolate paleo magic cookie bars, gluten free magic cookie bars, or pumpkin spice paleo magic cookie bars, This recipe for magic cookie bars doesn’t have any crazy ingredients. Like, at all. We’re talking pantry staples here peeps:
Dassss it. Simple stuff. Good stuff. Stuff that you probably ALREADY HAVE. A-L-S-O, you know when you think about really hard things like rocket science? Well, think of the OPPOSITE with these bars.
It’s just a little press-in crust action, mix some coconut milk and honey until it gets nice and thick and then pour it on top with a few sprinkles of other yummy stuff.
How to make magic cookie bars:
- You need condensed milk. We’re making our own with coconut milk and honey! Let it boil until thick and syrupy! YUM.
- Make your easy-peasy coconut flour crust. Bake it until golden brown and perfect
- Sprinkle the usual magic bar suspects on: chocolate, coconut and almonds. POUR OVER THAT STICKY SAUCE.
- Bake until bubbly and GOLDEN and YUMMY.
- Refrigerate overnight.
BOOM. Jussss like that you are D to the O-N-E.
Protip though: make sure to let these babies set OVERNIGHT to achieve OPTIMAL coconut milk set-age (is that a word?)
Which means you should maybe just get off that thing that makes your face glow weird, some people call it a computer, and get your cookie-loving butt (is that as awkward to read as it was to type?) into your kitchen, so that the crunchy-creamy-sweet-crispy cookie bar magical-ness can be dancing down your healthy-dessert-loving-tongue ALL. WEEKEND. LONG.
BUTBUTBUT, before you you jump into cookie bar magicalness, can I just give you another protip so that you can make sure that cookie magicalness/greatness is actually achieved in your weekend? Awesome.
IF you are totally new to gluten free/paleo baking, I am going to HIGHLY recommend that these cookie bars are NOT your first attempt at baking with gluten free flours. I won’t lie to you, they can be a little tricky to NAIL DOWN. It’s helpful if you have a knowledge of baking without the gluten before you jump in. GOT IT?
For step-by-step instruction of this recipe, watch my video tutorial below:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE! New recipes posted each week!
Similar recipes you might like
Get this recipe with Facebook Messenger
Paleo and Vegan Magic Cookie Bars
These Paleo and vegan friendly magic cookie bars are a healthier remake of the classic dessert! You'll never know they're gluten, grain, dairy and refined sugar free!
- 1 Can Full-fat Coconut Milk Do NOT use low fat 14oz
- 1/2 Cup + 3 Tbsp Honey divided (Agave for Vegan version)
- 1/3 Cup Coconut oil at room temperature (should be the consistency of softened butter)
- 3/4 Cup Coconut flour Sifted (66g) *
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 Cup Almonds finely chopped (87g)
- 3/4 Cup Dark chocolate chips dairy-free for vegan option
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened coconut flakes
- In a large pot, set over high heat, whisk together the can of coconut milk and 1/2 cup of Honey (or agave), reserving the remaining honey for later. Bring the mixture to a boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Then, turn the heat down to medium and and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce reduced by about half.
- Transfer the sauce to a large measuring cup to cool while you make the crust. Note: You should have about 1 1/4 cups of sauce left after cooking it.
- Once you've made the sauce, heat your oven to 350 degrees and line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper, spraying the sides generously with coconut oil spray. Note: It helps to spray the bottom of the pan before putting in the parchment paper, to secure it.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the remaining 3 Tbsp of honey with the coconut oil until smooth and creamy. Stir in the flour and pinch of salt until a wet dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the pan. This will be a little bit tough, just be patient with it. I found it easiest to use the palms of my hands, and rinse them off every so often, until the dough was pressed in.
- Bake the crust just until lightly golden brown, about 7 mins. Note: this would be a good time to chop the nuts if you haven't already)
As soon as the crust comes out of the often, sprinkle the chopped nuts on top, and lightly press them into the crust. Then, sprinkle on the chocolate chips evenly, followed by the coconut flakes.
- Pour 1 Cup of the slightly cooled coconut milk mixture (you'll have a little left over, but you don't need to use it all for these bars) EVENLY over the top of the surface. Then, gently shake the pan around until the coconut milk mixture begins to sink between the layers.
- Place into the oven and bake until the sides are lightly golden brown, about 27-28 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. Then, cover with tinfoil and refrigerate overnight. **
- The next day, run a very sharp knife around the edge of the pan, slice into bars and DEVOUR
* The coconut flour I usually use needed 3/4 cup, but I also tried it with a different brand and 66g was only 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. So, PLEASE weigh your flour first before trying to make the crust.
** You NEED to let these sit overnight to make sure the coconut milk really has a chance to chill and thicken.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @foodfaithfit, using the hashtag #foodfaithfit
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMARTPOINTS: 9 POINTS+: 7. OLD POINTS: 5
Want more paleo bar desserts?
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!