A fresh, healthy Chicken Salad Recipe that is perfect for Summer! It’s a complete meal in minutes!
In my kitchen, I have a little whiteboard that I write the weekly menu on. The hubs likes to know what he will be eating every night throughout the week. So, the menu board was born. It’s also pretty great ’cause it forces me to be pro-active and plan the next week’s meals the week before, and I can make sure I have a plan for each night. You know those nights when you get home from work and just don’t
want know what to cook? Ya, this makes that not happen ever.
Anyways, when these chicken salads are on the weekly menu, I will write up on the board “Epic Salads.” We’ve eaten this salad so many times that the hubster doesn’t even need to ask what on earth an “epic salad” is. I don’t know if he looks quite as forward to it as I do, but I seriously count down the days until I get to put this in my belly. It is THAT good. Hence, the name “Epic Salad.”
It’s chock full of healthy fats from the nuts and avocado, and has a big protein boost from the chicken breast. Have you ever had a soggy salad? This is not that. The red onion and fresh romaine give it the perfect, crunchy bite. For it’s finishing act, this leafy meal knocks your taste buds off their feet (do they have those?) with a sweet and tangy honey mustard dressing. You may have realized I like honey mustard dressing. A lot. I use it on tons of salads ’cause, lets face it, it’s just one of the best flavour combos in the world. Maybe even the universe. Spell check wants me to take the “u” out of flavour, but I am not letting it completely take away my Canadian roots. Honour, flavour, colour. Take that spell check. I win.
Kay seriously, ignore me and eat this salad. Right now. Just do it.
Chicken And Avocado Salad With Candied Pecans
A fresh, healthy Chicken Salad Recipe that is perfect for Summer! It's a complete meal in minutes!
- 2 Chicken breasts
- Head of romaine lettuce
- 1/2 Cup fat free or low fat feta cheese
- 1/2 Red onion diced
- 1 Small avocado chopped
- 1/4 Cup Pecans
- 2 Egg whites
- Pinch of stevia
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- Honey Mustard Dressing:
- 1/4 Cup sugar free maple syrup
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp White wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat your grill to high, and your oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the egg whites, stevia and cinnamon. Add the pecans, and stir around until well coated.
- Place the pecans on a small baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 5-7 min, until toasted. Set aside.
- By this time, your grill should be preheated. Put the chicken on and grill for 10-12 minutes, until longer pink inside. Flip only once! Or you will have chicken drier than the Sahara.
- While the chicken cooks, tear up the lettuce and divide evenly between two plates.
- Dice the red onion and roughly chop the avocado.
- Divide the onion, avocado, and feta cheese between each plate.
- Break the pecans into small pieces, and also divide between the plates.
- In a small bowl, mix the sugar free maple syrup, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, garlic powder, and salt. Set aside
- Once your chicken is finished, slice it against the grain and place a breast on top of each salad.
- Drizzle with honey mustard dressing and devour! Yum!