This low carb, healthy Whole30 Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice uses bacon instead of chicken! It’s a quick and easy whole30 meal for the family!
PIN Whole30 Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice
Yes. It is exactly what you think it is.
It’s a little piece of food heaven…that just so happens to be healthy, nutritious and LOADED with low-carb vegetable goodness.
But, honest moment, I can’t take F-U-L-L credit for the recipe idea. Mr. FFF and I were at the Sprint store trying to configure some new phones which, if you’ve ever done this, you know it takes ALL THE YEARS OF YOUR LIFE.
So, we were hanging out there for eleventy billion hours (more like 45 minutes. You get it.) When you are with people that you don’t know for that long, you talk about interesting things.
Like your favorite takeout order (gluten free healthy sesame chicken for me and paleo orange chicken for Mr. FFF) This lead to talking about fried rice.
The nice Sprint man told us that his dad makes BACON FRIED RICE….and here we are.
Besides being insanely delicious and smoky and yummy and BLISS inside your bacon-loving mouths, the other pro about using bacon instead of chicken is that it comes with its own MEGA tasty fat fo’ frying. No need to mess around with a different oil, which is only adding unnecessary items to the list of things you need to buy at the grocery store.
Of course, you could totally leave the bacon (and egg) out if you want to make it a healthy vegan cauliflower fried rice!
Judging by the popularity of things like the 4 ingredient egg muffins with ham, kale and cauliflower rice, 6 ingredient pecan pie twice baked sweet potatoes and zucchini noodle broccoli cheese casserole, my brain is telling me that you guys SUPER dig recipes that have ingredient lists that only require your hands (OR LESS) to count.
Is Cauliflower Better For You Than Rice?
Rice is something that goes well with SO many different foods. It pairs well with Easy Healthy Vegetarian Stir Fry with Cashew Cream Sauce and Spicy Thai Basil Chicken Stir Fry. I love it because it balances out and soaks up the sauces and adds a new texture that compliments the strong rich flavors. I enjoy white and brown rice from time to time, but a great alternative that I am a HUGE fan of is cauliflower rice!
One cup of white rice contains 205 calories and 45 grams of carbohydrates, whereas cauliflower rice is a much lower calorie and lower carb option at 25 calories and 5 grams of carbs. Cauli rice is high in fiber, nutrients, and is a great source of antioxidants.
It is also versatile and SO delicious- I often prefer it to white rice for how it tastes, not just because of its health benefits!
Whole30 Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice Ingredients
When putting together a meal, I’m all about the ones that call for ingredients I already have on hand. On a weeknight after a crazy day, a recipe that isn’t too complicated but IS delicious is what I want! This paleo fried rice hits the mark, and to make it you will need:
- Thick Cut Smoked Bacon
- Cauliflower Florets
- Diced Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Sliced Green Onion
- Coconut Aminos
- Cold Pressed Sesame Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Sesame Seeds
How to Make Whole30 Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice
Chicken Fried rice, or ANY fried rice for that matter, is a FAVORITE of mine. It’s cozy and comforting, has those rich flavors that Asian cuisine often does, and is filling and just so tasty. Add bacon and BAM- It’s salty, it adds that smoky flavor to the dish making it insanely delicious. Cooking this keto fried rice dish is simple and doesn’t take long, so let’s get started:
In a high sided pan or wok, heat it up to medium and fry the bacon until it’s crispy, flipping once. Place the bacon on a paper towel lined plate. Reserve the bacon fat in the pan.
Place the cauliflower in a large food processer and pulse until it is rice-like. Set aside.
Once the bacon has been removed from the pan after cooking, turn the heat to high, add in the onions and garlic and cook until lightly browned. This should take about a minute. Add in the riced cauliflower along with the green onions and cook, stirring occasionally until the rice is golden brown- this should take about 5 minutes.
Prep the Eggs
In another small non-stick pan, heat it to medium heat. Whisk the egg with the water, place it in the pan, and cover it. Do not scramble the egg. Once it is set, remove to a cutting board and cut into thin strips.
Finish it Off
Once the rice is cooked, remove it from heat and add the egg, coconut aminos, sesame oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Finally, crumble the cooked bacon on top and mix it all together.
Garnish with extra green onion and sesame seeds and DEVOUR!
What to Serve with Whole30 Cauliflower Fried Rice?
Something I love about Asian food is that there’s so many tasty dishes and they all pair so well together! A few that I love to serve alongside this fried rice are:
- Healthy Chicken stir Fry with Coriander and Spicy Sweet Sauce
- Paleo Beef Grilled Stir Fry with Asian Almond Dressing
- Paleo Easy Gluten Free Healthy Sesame Chicken
Can you freeze Cooked Cauliflower Rice?
If you want to make your cauliflower rice in advance and freeze in ziploc bags for cooking in the future, it’s best to leave it raw! Once you pull it out of the freezer and thaw it, then you can cook it up and it will taste just as DELISH as if you cooked it from fresh!
Other Healthy Asian Recipes
Whole30 Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 2 Slices Thick-cut smoked bacon
- 4 Cups Cauliflower florets
- 3/4 Cup Onion diced
- 1 Tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/2 Cup Green onion sliced + additional for garnish
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Coconut aminos or to taste *
- 1/2 Tbsp Cold-pressed sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish optional
- Heat a large wok over medium heat and cook the bacon until golden brown and crispy, flipping once. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate and pat off the excess fat. Reserve the bacon fat in the pan
- While the bacon cooks, place the cauliflower florets into a large food processor and pulse until rice-like. Set aside
- Once the bacon is cooked and removed from the pan, turn the heat up to medium/high and add in the onions and garlic. Cook for 1 minute until lightly golden brown.
- Add in the riced cauliflower, along with the sliced green onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is golden brown and tender, about 5 minutes.
- While the cauliflower cooks, heat a small non-stick pan on medium heat. Whisk the egg with the water and place into the pan. Cover with a lid and cook until the egg is set. Do not scramble it. Once cooked, slide it onto a cutting board and slice into thin strips.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, remove from heat and stir in the sliced egg, coconut aminos and sesame oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Then, crumble in the cooked bacon and stir until evenly mixed.
- Garnish with extra green onion and sesame seeds and DEVOUR!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 4 POINTS+: 6. OLD POINTS: 5
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!