This Kale and Quinoa Skillet is made in one pan and is SO easy and full of flavour. It’s a perfect dinner for a cold night that your family will love!
Dear peeps out there in internetz landz,
Today I am writing this to you. With a heater blowing at my noggin, wearing Mr. FFF’s winter coat, that is about 10 sizes too big and is lined with some kind of creepy furry animal thing, drinking 10 gallons of coffee, wishing I had a steaming bowl of Moroccan cauliflower soup, and huddled under a LEOPARD PRINT (YUSSSS) heated blanket.
Yes, I do look like some outcast creature from the outback. <–And not the restaurant where they serve yummy things like coffee rubbed steak. We’re talking about the land of KANGAROOS.
Hey. At least they’re warm there.
Today, you guys, it is BELOW FREEZING.
Why the heck did I move to Seattle from FLORIDA? Canada dwelling familia, I am looking at YOU.
Try as I might, they just won’t immigrate to the land of chicken and waffles. Clearly, they’re missing OUT.
But, then again..more chicken and waffles for me.
Except I’ve never actually eaten above mentioned chicken and waffles. But that is neither here nor there.
Anyway. Enough about cold weather. Well, almost enough. We need to address the ugly beast (NO, not the ugly beast that is my current appearance, the ugly beast that is lurking out yonder my window. Get your head in the game.)
BE-CA-USE, the only redeeming quality about vacation weather for ice cubes is that it makes warm, buttery, one pan kale and quinoa skillets. Do you remember the “Cheesy” Mexican Quinoa Skillet?
WHY IS QUINOA IN A SKILLET JUST SO GOOD?!
ESPECIALLY when that “butter” is not butter at all…it’s I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! Which means that is has 40% fewer calories and 70% less saturated fat than butter, and is a good source of the “heart healthy” good kinda fats.
You know you liiiike it.
Not to mention, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, has had a total makeover, and is now made from real, simple ingredients like plant-based oils, purified water, and a pinch of salt.
That’s it. Nothing you can’t recognize in this jar of creamy, spread-able goodness.
Let’s break it down. Side note: Am I only the only one that starts moving my hands around like a DJ WHENEVER someone says “break it down?”
Please say no.
Okay. So. Mushrooms + onion + I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter go into a pan. And then you stir them around a little bit and probably, okay yes, eat about half of them before even adding the quinoa because they smell SO darn good, and it’s hard to resist not face planting right into that NUM.
I understand. We’re SOUL FOOD FRIENDS.
I do not recommend face planting in this situation though. Hot pans + face = ow. At least that’s what Mr. FFF says. And he is a nurse. He knows things about things. Or so he thinks at least.
And I let him pretend he does. #GOODWIFEGOALS.
Add in the kale and quinoa, mix it up and then cover it. THEN, just let it get all warm and cozy with whatever mushrooms your may or may not have left. I won’t judge.
I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter gets even BETTER with some roasted garlic (obsessed) and fresh herbs. Then pour it ALL over that pan of goodness that you’re face-first in right now.
I knew you wouldn’t listen.
One Pan Quinoa with Mushrooms, Kale and Garlic Herb Butter
This Kale and Quinoa Skillet is made in one pan and is SO easy and full of flavour. It's a perfect dinner for a cold night that your family will love!
- 1 Head of garlic
- 1/4 Cup +1 tsp I Can't Believe It's Not Butter divided
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts roughly chopped
- 1 Cup Crimini Mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup Onions diced
- 1 Cup Quinoa uncooked
- 2 Cups Chicken broth
- 6 Cups Kale chopped
- 1/2 tsp Fresh thyme minced
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Fresh parsley minced
- Fresh lemon juice for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Cut the top portion of the head of garlic, leaving the upper portion of the cloves exposed. Place two pieces of tinfoil on top of eachother, and place the garlic in the center. In a small bowl, melt 1 tsp of I can't Believe It's Not Butter and then pour onto the garlic, rubbing it into the tops of the cloves. Package the tinfoil around it and place it on a small baking tray. Bake until the cloves are very soft about 50-60 mins.
- Place the walnuts onto a small pan and place them into the oven, just until lightly toasted (about 4-7 mins) Remove and set aside.
- In a large pan melt 2 Tbsp of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on medium heat. Add in the mushrooms and onions and cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once cooked, add in the quinoa and chicken broth and stir well. Bring the mixture a boil and then reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until all the water is absorbed, about 25-30 minutes.
- Once cooked, add in the chopped kale, stir and cover for about 5 minutes until the kale begins to wilt.
- While the kale cooks, press all of the garlic cloves out of the roasted head and place them into a medium bowl, along with the remaining 2 Tbsp of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Use a spoon to smash the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and garlic until the garlic is evenly incorporated throughout the butter. Add in the fresh thyme and parsley and mix well.
- Melt the I Can't Believe It's Not Butter mixture in the microwave and pour over top the quinoa. Mix well and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Garnish with toasted walnuts and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @foodfaithfit, using the hashtag #foodfaithfitness
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTRAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS! 🙂
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Want more quinoa for dinner?
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!