Just wanted to let you know that this creamy crockpot Thai Peanut Butter Chicken Curry is sponsored by my friends at Elmhurst™!
This slow cooker Thai peanut curry is a dairy and gluten free, healthy and easy dinner for busy weeknights that the whole family will love! Set it and forget it!
PIN Thai Peanut Butter Chicken Curry
Hello one pot chicken dinner of your dreamzzzzz
If you’re the kind of person who likes coming home to a creamy bowl of cozy coconut paleo chicken curry, then you’re going to be alllll over this peanut butter chicken recipe.
Let’s all just sit down and have a real, adult, no-judgement conversation with each other for a sec. We have ALL been in that “HANGRY-don’t-know-what-to-make-for-dinner” moment in our real-lives, and have decided that a spoon plus a jar of peanut butter is just a good a dinner as ANY.
So, using peanut butter to whip up a steaming hot bowl of spicy-sweet Thai peanut sauce chicken that swirls round with tender vegetables, ALL that peanut goodness, and warms the back of your throat with a curry KICK as you slurp your way to the bottom of the bowl?
It’s gonna give you all the same jar + spoon feels, but in more “acceptable” dinner-eating form.
See also: this is a CROCKPOT Thai peanut butter chicken curry, kinda like the Thai chicken quinoa bowls! Which means it’s pretty much a whisk-it-up-dump-it-in-press-on and WAIT kinda recipe. <-If you wanna make something in even LESS time, try the Instant Pot Tahini Cashew Curry!
No. Work. For. Y-O-U.
Ding-ding-ding! That is the sound of this peanut chicken doing a KO (knock out, for those of you that have never watched wrestling) on your wholesome, real-food, weeknight-dinner needs.
How to make peanut butter chicken
Like I said, making this simple dinner is the easiest thing ever. You just have to microwave (or heat on the stove top!) some coconut milk, Milked Peanuts™ (!!!! more on that in a few) peanut butter, curry paste, fish sauce and a pinch of coconut sugar until the peanut butter is smooth.
Whisk it together and pour it in the slow cooker on top of your chicken thighs and sweet potatoes!
Once it’s almost done cooking, add your other vegetables – peppers, cauliflower and broccoli – along with a little tapioca starch for EXTRA creamy-goodness. Cook it a little bit more and then serve it up with ALL the garnishes – we liked cilantro, green onion and extra peanuts!
Can I use chicken breast?
Absolutely! However, I used chicken thighs because the husband has some weird thing against chicken breast in the slow cooker. Appareanty it tastes like sandpaper to him?
What kind of curry should I use for this peanut butter chicken curry?
I am using red curry paste here, and I do think that would be the best option. However, if you only have yellow or green curry paste on hand, I think you could use that too and still get tasty results! If you don’t like curry, you could even leave it out and ZONE IN on the peanut coconut action!
I’m convinced that I have discovered the secret ingredient to making the best peanut butter sauce for chicken in this Crockpot Thai peanut butter chicken curry: Elmhurst Milked Peanuts™!
Yes. You read that right. It’s like almond milk or cashew milk (they make those too!) but with PEANUTS (the first of its kind in America!) There is even a chocolate peanut variety. <–Don’t use that here though.
You’re getting way too exciting then.
But, ohmygoshogmygosh you guys. It’s SO good just straight from the GLASS.
This minimally-processed, ULTRA CREAMY peanuty-bliss drink is packed with 31 peanuts and 6 grams of plant-based protein in every glass! Plus, it follows Elmhurst’s promise of being free of emulsifiers, thickeners, stabilizers or gums!
All of the good, wholesome, YUMMY nutrition, NONE of the bad stuff in ALL of their non-dairy milks. Adding a SERIOUS peanut-y kick to this crockpot Thai peanut butter chicken curry you guys.
Milked Peanuts coming together with extra peanut butter and smooth spirals of coconut milk, zesty-warm red curry and getting crockpot-cozy with juicy chicken
It’s a SERIOUS winner in the book of yummy dinners that your whole family will L-O-V-E.
- 1 Lb Boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Cups Sweet potato, cut into 1 inch cubes (260g)
- 1 Cup Elmhurst Milked Peanuts
- 1 Cup Light canned coconut milk
- 1/4 Cup Reduced-sodium soy sauce + additional for serving, optional (GF if needed)
- 3 Tbsp Natural creamy peanut butter
- 4 tsp Red curry paste
- 2 tsp Fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp Fish sauce
- 1 tsp Coconut sugar
- 4 tsp Tapioca starch
- 1 Red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 Cups Cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 3 Cups Broccoli, cut into large florets
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Green onion, for garnish
- Peanuts, for garnish
- Sriracha, for serving, optional
- Cauliflower rice, or white rice, for serving. *
- Place the chicken and sweet potato in the bottom of a slow cooker (mine is 7 quarts.)
- Combine the Milked Peanuts, coconut milk, soy sauce, peanut butter, curry paste, ginger and fish sauce and coconut sugar in a large microwave-safe measuring cup. Microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until the peanut butter is smooth and melted.
- Pour the peanut mixture over the chicken, spooning it over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the potatoes and chicken are tender, about 3-4 hours on LOW
- Once cooked, whisk the tapioca starch and 8 tsp of the slow cooker liquid together in a medium bowl until smooth. While whisking, stir it back into the slow cooker until well mixed. (You can take the chicken out with a slotted spoon first if it's easier to whisk it in!)
- Add in the red pepper, cauliflower and broccoli (and chicken if you took it out) and cover and cook an additional hour until the sauce is thick and the vegetables are tender.
- One cooked, shred the chicken and stir it into the sauce.
- Serve over rice of choice, along with cilantro, green onions, extra peanuts and soy sauce or sriracha, if desired!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
THIS POST IS SPONSORED BY MY FRIENDS AT ELMHURST THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONTINUE CREATING GREAT CONTENT FOR YOU BY SUPPORTING PARTNERSHIPS WITH SUPER-FAB BRANDS THAT FOOD FAITH FITNESS LOVES TO WORK WITH! AS ALWAYS, OPINIONS REMAIN 100% MY OWN!
Or, find them online or at select retailers!
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 10 POINTS+:11 . OLD POINTS: 9
(per 1/4 of the recipe, not including rice of choice)