This Bacon Wrapped Sweet and Sticky Stuffed Chicken Breast tastes like a bacon wrapped water chestnut in a weeknight, family friendly dinner that is easy, paleo and whole30 friendly!
PIN Bacon Wrapped Sweet and Sticky Stuffed Chicken Breast
How do you guys feel about sauce?
Particularly, sauce that is sticky, sweet and only requires wholesome, real-food ingredients, NO sugar and a pot and a blender. <– THINGS YOU ALREADY HAVE.
Ya, you like it.
Am I imposing my views on you? Yep. And, because it ends with happy-you eating this sticky chicken recipe, I am ALRIGHTY ROO with that.
Do I actually say “alrighty-roo” in the real world?
Unfortunately for Mr.FFF, yeppers I do.
I could ask the same thing about yeppers, but you know the answer.
Plus, you’re annoyed with questions and you came here for this bacon wrapped sweet and sticky stuffed chicken breast.
Here’s the low down.
How to make sticky chicken
Blend it ALL up, so that the chewy, warmed dates can get rollin’ on the STICKY and sweet action
Pour over the chicken that is wrapped in a with salty-smoky HUG of bacon and, because it’s a baked sticky chicken, pop it in the oven.
Out comes salty-sweet-sticky-hello-get-in-my-face-right-now CHICKEN DINNER WINNER.
But wait, there’s more! We MISSED A KEY INGREDIENT.
As your teeth munch through the crispy layer of salty, rich bacon and the dates dance in perfect sweetness all over your mouth, followed by a WHOLLOP of tender, JUICY chicken, your taste buds are hit with a crunchy POW of CRISPY water chestnuts.
Yep. Stuffing chicken with water chestnuts. I went there.
Are you familiar with those little bacon wrapped water chestnuts you see at fancy parties? Or non-fancy parties actually. Basically, any party where they serve food (all parties, if you’re tracking) generally has these.
They are one of my favorite appetizers. Liiiiike, get to the side easy homemade spinach Greek yogurt dip or easy Greek yogurt French onion dip, because T-H-O-S-E bites of crunchy-sweet-bacon-BLISS are alllll that I want to eat.
But, as much as I want 1000 of them in my face all at once, we just can’t really consider that a meal, you know?
UNTIL THIS bacon wrapped sweet and sticky stuffed chicken breast!
This brought me great joy ‘cause it was like eating 1000 of them but in a justifiable healthy meal form.
Oh yeahhhhh baby.
Was that creepy? It might have been creepy. But, easy-weeknight dinners where crispy-crunchy-smokey-sweetness is involved that just so happens to be paleo and whole30 compliant A-N-D I can bet will please even the pickiest of eaters?
OBVI we’re gonna enter the overly-excited-borderline-creepy land of life.
Just 3 few things that you need to remember:
1) Sticky, naturally sweet dates
2) Smoky slices of bacon
3) 30 minutes, weeknight quick-and-easy-dinner kinda awesome.
4) Wholesome, pantry-essential kinda simple ingredients.
5) Crunchy and CRISPY all at the same time.
Yaya, that’s five.
When there’s THAT much deliciousness on the table, it’s natural to have trouble narrowing it down.
I wish you a future full of finger-lickin-sweet-sticky-chicken.
For the sauce:
- 3/4 Cup 100% grape juice (not from concentrate)
- 1/2 Cup Canned tomato sauce
- 1/4 Cup Dates (very lightly packed - 42g)
- 2 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- Pinch Ground allspice
For the chicken:
- 1 1/2 Lbs Chicken breasts (about 6 small breasts)
- 1 Can Sliced water chesnuts chopped
- 6 slices Sugar free bacon
- Green onion for garnish.
To make the sauce:
- Stir together ALL of the sauce ingredients in a medium pot and bring to a boil on high heat. Once boiling, cook for 1.5 minutes, stirring frequently
- Once the sauce has boiled for 1.5 minutes, turn the heat down to medium and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken and reduce, about 9-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once reduced, pour the sauce into a high powered blender, or small food processor, and blend until smooth. Transfer to a measuring cup (you should have about 6 ounces.)
Make the chicken:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice a pocket in the side of each chicken breast, making sure to not cut right through it. Stuff 506 water chestnuts into each pocket.
- Wrap one slice of bacon around each chicken breast, securing with a toothpick if needed. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pan to high heat and brown the chicken on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side, or until the bacon is golden.
- Once the chicken is browned, transfer it to a wire cooling rack with legs. Put the cooling rack on top of a cookie sheet (this is going to allow air under the chicken so the bacon can get crispy on the bottom too!)
- Spread 1 Tbsp of sauce on top of each chicken breast. Then, bake for 10 minutes. Once baked, spread an additional tablespoon on each chicken breast (that should be all the sauce) and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is nice and thick.
- Garnish with sliced green onion and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE SMART POINTS: 3 POINTS+: 4. OLD POINTS: 4
(Freestyle Smartpoints based off the bacon being cooked)
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOKAND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!