There is a time and place for hamburger buns, like in Hawaiian pizza burgers.
OR, you can throw all your favorite burger fixings in a bowl and call it DINNER!
And you thought there was only one way to eat a burger didn’t you. You learned something new today!
I am all about a bun sometimes but you guys…..this burger salad has croutons made of BUNS and they are seriously crispy and perfect and I cannot wait for you to try your next grill out in bowl form!
Hamburger Bun Croutons!
In some cases, a burger just calls for a big, fluffy, soft bun! Other times, though, I like to get out of my hamburger comfort zone and switch things up just for fun, like in this cheeseburger bowl! That’s why I came up with a crunchy, delicious alternative to a bun for this delicious dinner- croutons! Yeah, you heard right! If I’m not overly hungry, I like to eliminate most of the carbs that come with a traditional burger in a bun so I came up with the next best thing and you’re going to LOVE them! You can even leave off the croutons to make it even lower in carbs!
If you still want something to feel carby but want lower carbs, I suggest making my keto French fries and throwing them in the bowl!
Healthy Burger In a Bowl Ingredients
If you can’t tell, I’m all about a meal in a bowl. I mean, I’ve made you Low Carb Fish Taco Bowls and Paleo Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls and SO many more- they just keep coming because I LOVE them so much and they’re a fun way to throw together a meal in a unique way. This delicious burger bowl recipe is going to have you crazy about bowls and is going to be a family favorite, too! Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make it:
- Ground Beef
- Olive Oil
- Large Onion
- Gluten Free Whole Grain Hamburger Bun
- Romaine Lettuce
- Roma Tomato
- Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese
- Yellow Mustard
Other Burger In a Bowl Topping Ideas
If you’re on board the hamburger bowl train now but want to jazz up your bowl even more, the sky’s the limit! Feel free to get creative and add whatever toppings you desire to your burger!
- Other toppings: Experiment with other types of lettuce such as spring mix, or switch it up with cherry tomatoes and raw diced red onion.
- Sauce: Add whatever sauces you love, like drizzling some mayo over top of your bowl or mix up some Sugar Free Low Carb BBQ Sauce to add!
Healthy Homemade Ketchup Ingredients
When coming up with this Burger in a Bowl, I thought it would be fun to whip up my own ketchup to serve with it as well! Did you know that not only is homemade ketchup lower in sugar than many store bought options, but it is also super delicious and easy peasy to whip up? You’ll only need a handful of ingredients to make your own ketchup, too! Here they are:
- Tomato Paste
- White Vinegar
- Agave or Honey
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
How to make Burger In a Bowl
Form the ground beef into 4 large patties, creating a small indent in the center of each one. Rub both sides of the burgers with oil and rub the remaining oil on the onion slices.
Place the burgers and onion slices onto the grill and cook, flipping once during the cook time, until the meat reaches the desired doneness.
Place the buns, cut-side down onto the grill and toast them until they are a bit charred. Chop them up into croutons.
Divide the lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and pickles between the bowls. Add a burger to each bowl, as well as the sliced onions and croutons. Top with the dressing.
Serve it up and enjoy these delicious burger bowls!
Can I Use Prepared Ketchup?
The great thing about a recipe is that there’s guidelines, but you can also tweak some ingredients and steps to make it your own creation. For this recipe, if you don’t have the ingredients on hand to make your own ketchup, or you simply don’t want to make your own ketchup, feel free to use store bought prepared ketchup you already have in the fridge or pantry! I like to look for ketchup that has little to no high fructose corn syrup so that it’s a healthier option!
Other Healthy Beef Recipes
- 1 Lb Ground beef (I use 93% lean)
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil, divided
- 1 Large Onion, sliced
- 1 Gluten Free Whole Grain Hamburger Bun
- 4 Cups Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 Cups Roma tomato, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup Reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, grated
- Pickles (optional)
- Yellow mustard
- Heat your grill to high heat. Loosely form the beef into 4 large patties, about 3/4 inch thick and use your thumb to make an indent in the center of each one.
- Rub each burger with 1 tsp of oil (on both sides.) Rub the remaining oil all over the sliced onion. Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Place the burgers and onions on the grill and cook for 3 minutes. Flip and cook and additional 4 minutes (for medium rare) or until desired done-ness is reached. Remove from grill and cover to keep warm.
- Place the bun, cut-side down onto the grill and cook until lightly charred, about 2-3 minutes. Once charred, cut into cubes to make the croutons.
- Divide the lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and pickles between 4 bowls, followed by the burgers, onions and croutons.
- In a medium bowl, stir together all the dressing ingredients until well mixed. Divide between the bowls.
- Drizzle each bowl with some yellow mustard and DEVOUR!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 13 POINTS+: 11. OLD POINTS: 9
(per 1 bowl, based off whole grain bun)
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!