The whole family will love this low carb Healthy Baked Cheesy Zucchini Casserole with kale and broccoli! So quick, easy, and healthy!
You guys. Today we’re jumping aboard the trendy train!
That’s right. We’re breaking out the Spiralizer to make the BEST zucchini casserole ever.
But first, lets talk spiralizers. Do you have one? If not, do you want one?
Because, well, YOU SHOULD. I just got one and have used it pretty much Every. Single. Day. of my life. I mean, eating vegetables that are pretend pasta is WAY more fun than eating vegetables in their natural vegetable form, ya feel me?
Some current favorites are: Chicken zoodle soup, creamy healthy carbonara with sweet potato noodles and vegan mac and cheese with butternut squash noodles.
Basically, Spiralize ALL THE THINGS.
Why you will LOVE This Recipe
Colder, crisp air calls for ALL the cozy meals, in my personal opinion. I mean, what sounds more inviting than curling up in a soft blanket on a cloudy, cold day with a piping hot bowl of cabbage soup with sausage or instant pot broccoli cheddar soup? Not a lot! Today’s keto cheesy zucchini casserole brings healthy, whole food ingredients together to create a flavorful and satisfying, one-dish meal that the whole family will love. It also includes nutrient rich green veggies so that everyone gets their superfood intake! Make it for a busy weeknight dinner or serve it up to guests for a Sunday lunch- either way, it is SO delicious and will sure to be a hit!
I know I’ve found a WINNER of a recipe when it calls for easy to pronounce, whole and healthy ingredients. It’s also a bonus if I have everything already, in my pantry and fridge! Here’s everything you will need to pull together to make this cheesy baked zucchini casserole:
- Zucchini Squashes
- Egg Whites
- Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt
- Black Pepper
- Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese, shredded
How to make this Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
Turn on the oven and let it preheat. Spray a cast iron pan with cooking spray and set it aside.
Using a spiralizer, spiralize your zucchini and place them in a strainer over a bowl or in the kitchen sink. Sprinkle the zucchini generously with salt and let them sit for a while.
Add the eggs and egg whites to a bowl, whisking to combine well. Add in the greek yogurt, pepper and salt and whisk again until smooth.
Wring out the zucchini in a clean kitchen towel, or press out the liquid while wrapped in a towel. Get as much moisture out as you can, then spread the zucchini noodles on a clean paper towel and press out more moisture.
Add the zucchini noodles, broccoli, kale, and some of the cheese to the egg mixture and stir to combine well.
Arrange the zucchini mixture in the cast iron skillet and sprinkle it with the remaining cheese. Place it in the oven and bake until set. Broil, at the end, for a couple of minutes so that the top of the casserole gets nice and golden.
Serve up your cheesy casserole and enjoy!
How do you prevent your Low Carb Cheesy Zucchini Casserole from being watery?
The BEST way to prevent a watery casserole is to really put some muscle into it when squeezing the moisture out of the zucchini. The more water you can wring out, the better!
What if I don’t have a spiralizer?
No spiralizer? NO PROBLEM. You can easily just slice up your zucchini thinly and use that in place of zucchini noodles for this recipe!
This recipe is a meal all on its own! It is loaded with protein thanks to the eggs and cheese, and is also nutrient dense with all that kale, zucchini and broccoli! It’s the PERFECT low carb meal, that is for sure! If you want to serve it up with something and keep the keto theme strong, I recommend some crab avocado salad or perhaps some keto tomato soup as a starter.
How to store Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
This casserole makes for fantastic leftovers and great lunches for those busy weekdays at work or school! Simply place the casserole leftovers in an airtight container and they will last in the fridge for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing, as it will be mushy and watery when thawing and reheating.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Easy Low Carb Keto Breakfast Casserole
One Pan Mexican Quinoa Casserole in the Slow Cooker
- 4 Large zucchinis, (about 2 lbs)
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Cup Egg Whites, (About 8 egg whites)
- 1/2 Cup Fat Free Plain Greek Yogurt
- Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Broccoli, Chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 Cups Kale, Torn and lightly packed
- 1 1/2 Cups Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Divided
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray a 10 Inch Cast Iron skillet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Using the 6mm blade on your spiralizer, spiralize the zucchinis, so that they turn into long noodles. *
- Place the zucchini into a strainer set over a large bowl and sprinkle with salt. Let them sit for 20 minutes, stirring around every so often.
- While the zucchini noodles sit, whisk together the eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add in the Greek yogurt and a pinch of pepper and additional salt. Whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Once the zucchini has sat, squeeze out as much excess water as you can. Then, transfer the zucchini noodles onto a paper towel and dry off, again, as much as you can.
- Stir the zucchini noodles, broccoli, kale and 1 cup of the Cheddar cheese into the egg mixture and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared skillet and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with remaining Cheddar cheese.
- Bake until the eggs feel set and begin to slightly pull away from the side of the skillet, about 40-45 minutes. Turn your oven to HIGH broil and broil an additional 2-3 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
Tips & Notes:
- Zucchini noodles can also be made on a mandolin using the 7mm Julienne blade.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
Weight Watchers Points Per Serving: Freestyle SmartPoints: 1. Points+: 4. Old Points: 3
(per 1/8 of the casserole)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment