Healthy and Delicious Buddha Bowl Recipe
This healthy and delicious Buddha Bowl recipe combines bright vegetables, wholesome grains, and, of course, avocado for a balanced meal that works any day of the week.
- 1 small sweet potato cubed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red radishes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup canned chickpeas
- 1 cup mixed salad
- 1 small cucumber sliced
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 tsp white sesame toasted
- lemon juice
- pinch salt and black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the quinoa and water in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until cooked. Remove the pot from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Peel the sweet potato and cut into cubes. Toss the sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spread onto the baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the roasted sweet potatoes from the oven, set aside, and cool down.
Thinly slice the radish into rounds and place in ice water for 5 minutes. Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone and the skin, and cut into slices. Toss the avocado slices with a squeeze of lemon. Set aside.
Assemble all the ingredients in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with toasted white sesame. Serve with a sauce or dip of your choice.
- I can't say there is a "recommended" sauce, which is the nice thing about Buddha bowls -- you can use so many different dressings/ingredients and it will taste great. Some to consider, though, are tahini dressing, Greek yogurt and dill sauce, balsamic vinaigrette, or a simple combination of extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and a touch of honey.
- To toast the white sesame seeds, simply add them to a dry skillet on MEDIUM heat. They should take 3-5 minutes; at which point, they should turn a light golden brown and emit a fragrant aroma.
Calories: 349kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 123mg | Potassium: 884mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 8753IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 81mg | Iron: 3mg