Kabocha Squash Soup in the Slow Cooker
This paleo, vegan and whole30 compliant turmeric, apple and kabocha squash soup is made in the slow cooker! An easy, healthy and gluten free fall meal!
Servings 6 people (about 8 cups total)
- 1 Medium Kabocha squash, skin cut off, de-seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes (about 5-6 cups cubes or a 2.9 lb squash, pre-cutting, 680g once cubed)
- 4 Large Fuji apples, Roughly chopped (about 7 cups or 740g)
- 2 Cups Reduced-sodium chicken OR vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp Halved Deglet Noor dates, tightly packed (32g or about 5 large dates)**
- 2 tsp Ground turmeric
- 2 tsp Fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 - 1 1/4 Cups Full-fat coconut milk, to taste **
- 3 Large Fuji apples, spiralized with the 3mm blade (the smallest one)
- 6 Tbsp Golden raisins, packed
Place the cubed kabocha, apples, broth, dates, turmeric, ginger, salt, cinnamon and pepper in a 7 quart slow cooker and stir until combined.
Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours, under the squash is very soft and tender.
Transfer the soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender if you have one!) and add the coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
Divide the soup between 6 bowls and garnish with apple noodles, cilantro and raisins.
*Deglet Noor are baking dates, and it would not equal 5 medjool. If you use Medjool, just use whatever 2 Tbsp/32g is!
**We liked it with 1 1/4 cups, but if you want a little more turmeric flavor, you might only want 1 cup, so I recommend starting there!
Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 50.1g | Protein: 3.8g | Fat: 9.1g | Saturated Fat: 7.6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 587.4mg | Potassium: 315.8mg | Fiber: 6.9g | Sugar: 36.1g | Vitamin A: 4805IU | Vitamin C: 20.6mg | Calcium: 2919mg | Iron: 1.6mg