This Vegan Apple Cake is so wonderfully spiced, moist, and tender! Delicious bites of apple throughout, topped with so much crumbly goodness!
Table of Contents
Fluffy, spiced cake with chunks of chewy apples and a THICKKKKK layer of crumbly goodness on top.
AKA: everything your dessert loving mouth could want right this very instant.
Why you will LOVE This Recipe
If you’re planning to go vegan, or have been eating a vegan diet for a while, there’s one thing you need to make SURE you don’t miss out on: DESSERT! Here at FFF, we have an assortment of delicious vegan desserts- from simply delicious vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to vegan lemon cake and beyond, there is a dessert for every occasion! Today, vegan apple spice cake joins the ranks and let me tell you, it’s a winner! It has the perfect touch of sweetness, the best blend of cozy spices, and is made with fresh apples, making it so perfectly tender! You and your crew will absolutely love this cake!
Gathering up everything you will need for this vegan apple cake recipe should be pretty straight forward, because it calls for lots of typical baking ingredients. Here’s what you will need to round up before you get baking:
For the Cake
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Brown Sugar or Coconut Sugar
- White Sugar
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Vegan Butter
- Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- Apple Cider Vinegar
For the Crumbles
- All Purpose Flour of gluten free 1:1 Flour
- Brown Sugar
- Vegan Butter
How to make Vegan Apple Cake
Turn on the oven to preheat it. Line the bottom of your cake pan with parchment paper and rub the sides generously with oil.
In a medium bowl, add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt and stir to combine. In a separate, larger bowl, add the sugars, applesauce, butter, almond milk and vinegar and stir to thoroughly combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir once again, until combined. Fold in the chopped apples.
Make the Crumbles
In another bowl, add the dry crumble ingredients and then use your hands to cut in the cold butter until a crumbly mixture forms.
Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan and evenly arrange the crumbly mixture on top, pressing some gently into the batter so that it sticks well.
Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool it completely.
Slice and DEVOUR!
Top Tips for Making Vegan Apple Cake
- Weigh Your Flour: When baking, weighing your flour is always a good idea as it will help your cake to turn out the absolute BEST it can be texture-wise!
- Leave some Crumbs Chunky: When cutting in the cold vegan butter for the crumble mixture, be sure to leave some big chunks as they are DELICIOUS!
This cake is fabulous when enjoyed fresh, but if you want to freeze it for another time, you most definitely can! I recommend cooling it completely, then wrapping it tightly with plastic wrap and placing it into a freezer style ziploc bag. It will last in the freezer this way for up to 3 months. Simply thaw, slice and serve when you are ready to enjoy it!
BEST Vegan Apple Cake FAQ
The best kind of apples to use for baking are apples that are slightly tart- granny smith apples would be perfect for this recipe. That being said, you can use whatever you have on hand and the recipe will still turn out great!
I recommend peeling your apples, so that they are able to meld into the cake and make the texture even and tender.
YES! Apples are high in many vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to help your body run optimally, and they also contain lots of fiber to aid with digestion!
Yes, you can! Be sure to pick a gluten free flour that is 1:1 and your apple cake should turn out fabulously!
more delicious vegan desserts
- 2 Cups All purpose or GF 1:1 flour (270) *
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 Cup White Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 Cup Vegan butter, melted
- 3/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 Tbsp Apple cider vingegar
- 2 Cups Apples, chopped
For the crumbles:
- 3/4 Cup All purpose or GF 1:1 flour (100g)
- 1/3 Cup Brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 5 Tbsp Cold Vegan butter, cut into cubes
- Line the bottom of a 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper, rubbing the sides with coconut oil. Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, stir together the sugars, applesauce, butter, almond milk and vinegar.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in the apples and then pour into the prepared pan, spreading out evenly.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt. Use your hands to cut in the cold butter until the mix forms crumbles – keep some nice and chunky!
- Spread the crumbs over the cake, lightly pressing them in to stick to the batter.
- Bake for 48-55 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean
- Let cool COMPLETELY.
- Slice and DEVOUR!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
For This Recipe, I recommend:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!