This freezer-friendly, slow cooker zucchini lasagna has a Thai peanut twist! It’s a healthy, low carb and gluten free weeknight meal that the family will love!
And just like that, two of our favorite things combined.
Aaaaand, we’re even adding a little super creamy, super nutty, spicy-sweet ‘n tangy THAI peanut twist wiiiiiiith crunchy water chestnuts, crispy cabbage and the meltiest, ooiest-gooiest cheesy layers of YUM this side of dinner.
Whatever that means.
Before I even finish that thought, we need to talk about the fact that whenever I used to type ❤ it just stays like < 3 (without the space.) BUT, right now, I am looking at HEART EMOJIS.
When did we get so hip and trendy and use emojis. ???? <– that’s a real smiley face! Not just two dots and a bracket!!!
If, for some reason, you are not seeing emojis: 1. I am sad for you 2. You think I am insane.
What else is new.
You love zucchini lasagna. That’s where we were.
You love it. I love it. It’s mega comfort food goodness but without all the carbs and WITH allllll the protein.
And now? IT’S BEING MADE IN THE SLOW COOKER. <—-!!!
You thought slow cooker steel cut oats energy bars was the craziest thing I would do didn’t you?
Pull up an internet-land chair for a second and let’s talk about the taste bud-tingling-Thai-twist that is about to enter the scene of your mouth for dinner tonight: It’s GOOOOOOD.
“Good” in the sense that it’s this magical combination of swirly, twirly spirals of creamy, rich peanut butter that are balanced out with tangy, zesty lime juice and rice vinegar which mish-mashes with spicy bursts of sriracha and salty notes of soy sauce. THEN all of those warm-tangy-salty mouth feels are taken down JUST a notch with a pinch of perfectly sweet coconut sugar.
AND 2 KINDS OF CHEESE. In F-O-U-R layers.
Four layers of ULTIMATE cheese NIRVANA that hug each other lasagna-layer in a creamy, mega-addicting HUG of general food perfection and bliss.
Food with layers of flavor are basically the key to my heart, and we could definitely call this lasagna the LADY of LAYERS.
Yes, we have gotten to the point of crazy where we name our food.
Whatever. You understand me.
Mr. FFF was all like “you’re putting peanut butter, chicken and cheese together? I feel like you may have gone off the proverbial lasagna deep end woman. Why can’t you just make something normal like Healthy Seasonal Recipe’s Healthy Beef Lasagna with Spinach and Basil?”
He didn’t really call me woman. That’s just for EFFECT.
And then he tasted it (one tiny bite since, you know, he’s lactose intolerant and all) and it made him really sad that he could have eat NO MORE. ☹ (still a real emoji. Still freaking out.)
I can’t confirm or deny that I may have jerk-ishly eaten a HYOOOOGE slice right in front of his face, like a really mean and nasty wife.
Hint: I did.
I may not be getting a gold star in the wife-of-the-year award category of life, but this super low carb, MEGA high protein lasagna?
3 gold stars in the mega-addicting-totally-cheesy-you-need-to-make-it-for-dinner-tonight category of life.
For step-by-step instruction of this recipe, watch my video tutorial below:
SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE! New recipes posted each week!
For the zoodles:
- 4 Large Zucchinis, * Read notes!
- 1 Tbsp Salt
For the lasagna:
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 Pound Extra-lean ground turkey (I used 99% fat free)
- 1 Cup Onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp Fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp Fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Cup Light coconut milk
- 1/4 Cup Natural creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 Cup Reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp Fish sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp Sriracha
- 15 Oz Light ricotta cheese
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 Cups Nappa cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1/2 Cup Water chestnuts, diced
- 8 Ounces Mozzarella cheese, grated (about 2 tightly packed cups)
- 1 Large Red pepper, diced
- Cilantro, diced
- Green onion, diced
- Roasted peanuts, diced
- Bean sprouts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a mandolin, slice the zucchini into thin slices, about 1/8 inch thick. Lay them out flat onto 2 cookie sheets and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp salt (it's okay if some zoodles overlap on the pan.
- Bake them for 15-20 minutes, until just lightly beginning to brown, to get all the moisture out.
- While the zoodles cook, heat the coconut oil over medium/high heat in the large pan. Add in the ground turkey, diced onion, garlic, ginger and a pinch of pepper. Cook until the onion is soft and the turkey is browned, about 10-12 minutes, making sure to break up the turkey as it cooks.
- Once cooked, add in the coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, coconut sugar, rice vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce and 1 Tbsp of the sriracha. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes, stirring very often so the bottom doesn't burn. Then, reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce is thick and creamy and begins to reduce, about 2-4 minutes. Stir occasionally so it doesn't burn. Adjust sriracha to taste. Set aside
- Once the zoodles are cooked, transfer them to a long piece of paper towel, cover with another piece of paper towel, and gently press out as much excess moisture as you can. Repeat with a fresh layer of paper towel on top. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, use a fork to beat together the ricotta cheese, egg and another pinch of pepper. Set aside.
- Spray the bottom of a 7 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Spread in half of the turkey mixture evenly. Then, layer half the zucchini noodles in a single layer, lightly overlapping them, followed by half the ricotta mixture. Gently spread out the ricotta to "seal in" in the zoodles.
- Sprinkle half the cilantro on, followed by half the cabbage and half the water chestnuts. Finally, sprinkle with half the Mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat the layers once more, except only use half of the remaining Mozzarella cheese on top. Then, add the diced red pepper on top of the last layer of Mozzarella.
- Cover your slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until everything is melted and the sides of the lasagna are brown. Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and let stand, covered, until melted.
- Sprinkle with ALL the garnishes and DEVOUR!
Tips & Notes:
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: SMART POINTS: 11 POINTS+: 9. OLD POINTS: 8
(Per 1/8 of the recipe, not including garnishes)
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER,FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I would only recommend products I love. Thanks for supporting FFF!