The classic lemon bars get a Paleo-friendly makeover! They’re sweet, bright and so easy with only 5 ingredients! You’d never know these are healthy!
It’s Friday. And I am bringing you a VERY SPECIAL TREAT.
“WHOA IT’S ORIGINAL. HOW ON EARTH DID YOU EVER THINK TO MAKE A LEMON BAR?!”
Said no one ever. I KNOW.
It’s not special in the super-creative and unique sense. But special to my HEART because it took me 9 tries to get perfect. (I obviously had no idea how to make paleo lemon bars.)
9 tries. In one day.
Some call it crazy. I call it dedicated.
With a sprinkle of crazy. And a dash of I’m-still-getting-lemon-zest-out-my-hair-good-thing-that-blonde-sort-of-suits-me.
But, seriously. The lemon part of these bars? A SNAP. Those were perfected by try numero dos. It’s pretty hard to mess up lemon juice, honey and eggs. It’s like when you decide to put chocolate in cookies and make paleo cookies. Putting delicious things into ONE thing can only mean it will totally, insanely YUMMY.
Like rich eggs, sweet honey and tangy lemon juice. SO GOOD.
But the crust? MY NEMESIS. I kept making these perfect crusts. But then they were notsoperfect by the time I poured the topping on them.
Here’s a failure picture from Instagram:
Yeah. Nobody wants to eat that. It was basically a pile of lemon flavored yum…on top of a pile of mushy, crust that once was. But now is NAHTTT.
Mr. FFF told me to give up. BUT, I JUST TOOK THAT AS A CHALLENGE! GOALS.
Aaaaannnd, this was the FIRST recipe I have re-done from the Reader Re-Dos that I want to do! Do you remember me announcing that WAYYYYY back a million years ago, and then I just never got around to it?
That’s right. I want YOU to send me your favorite recipes that are NOTSO waistline friendly, and I’ll pick some to try to make into healthy good-for-you nummage! Since then we’ve also remade low carb ketp philly cheesesteak stuffed peppers and vegan gluten free strawberry rhubarb crisp!
Which is why I couldn’t give up. A reader submitted her favorite Lemon Bar Recipe from “A Family Circle” and I COULD NOT LET HER DOWN.
Plus, lemon bars happen to be one of my most favorite desserts of ALL the evers. But you know this already since we’ve eaten strawberry no bake gluten free paleo lemon bars, no bake paleo lemon bars and tropical paleo lemon bars. So testing wasn’t THATTTT BAD.
It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it. 🙂
AND it made our apartment smell like I was the best housewife ever who just sits around and cleans ALL DAY. Either that or people thought that Mr. Clean moved in.
However, I have more hair than him and more female qualities. So, I hope people do not mistake me for the latter.
After eleventy billion batches, these happened. I let the whole thing cool over-night and woke up with major anxiety (can you write off counselling sessions as business expenses?! Please say yes.) about cutting into them.
I rolled out bed and uncovered them. I cut into them VERY apprehensively. AND AND AND, I actually felt my knife CUT through the crust.
Like in a CRUNCHY-HOW-A-CRUST-SHOULD-BE sort of way. <— !!!!
I took it out the pan and, BEHOLD, a NO MUSH CRUST.
And the taste? Fresh, bright, perfectly sweet and loaded with lemon flavah!
Only 5 INGREDIENTS? CHECK. Paleo? CHECK, the sequel AND good for you WHILE still taking you to Num town? OH BABY.
Lemon Bars. Consider yourselves conquered.
Similar recipes you might like
Get this recipe with Facebook Messenger
For the crust:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and generously rub an 8x8 inch pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat together the honey, coconut oil and pinch of salt until creamy and well combined. Stir in the coconut flour until a dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan and bake until just lightly golden brown, about 8 minutes. ** Once cooked, let cool for 30 minutes.
- Lower the temperature of your oven to 325 degrees and lower the oven rack to the 2nd from the bottom position.
- Once the crust has cooled, gently whisk together the eggs, honey and lemon zest in a large bowl. Do NOT use an electric mixer here or you will over-beat the eggs and the topping with crack once baked. Use a hand whisk.
- In a separate, medium bowl, whisk the coconut flour into the lemon juice, 1 tsp at a time, until well mixed. Make sure you continually whisk as you add the flour so that it doesn't clump up.
- Pour the lemon juice mixture into the egg mixture, whisking while you pour, until evenly combined.
- Pour the topping over top of the cooled crust and bake until it is just set, and the very center is just slightly jiggly, about 21-23 minutes. Let cool completely at room temperature. Then, cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, best over-night. You need to let the crust completely cool, or it will be soft.
- Using a VERY sharp knife (or else you might not cut through the crust) cut the bars into squares and DEVOUR. ***
Tips & Notes:
- Do NOT use lemon juice from a bottle, it tastes completely different than fresh. I tried it. Not good.
- * Make sure you DON'T OVER-BAKE it. I did once, and it completely makes the lemon layer bake funny, and makes it almost disappear. You want to to be golden brown on the edges and VERY light brown on the inside.
- I have had a few readers struggle with this recipe, but I have made in MANY MANY times with great results. Please make sure to follow the directions as written, and I highly recommend weighing your flour, as gluten free baking is tricky.
- Store bars in the refrigerator until ready to serve. ***The first bar is a little difficult to get out, so be gentle! But, once one is out, it's smooth sailing!
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
I’d love for you to keep submitting recipes for me to re-do! Click HERE to submit!
Based on 12 bars.
If you make this recipe, please remember to tag @Foodfaithfit and #foodfaithfitness on Instragram! I LOVE seeing your recipe recreations! 🙂
Want more Paleo treats?
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins with Blueberries
Almond Chocolate Lava Cakes
Paleo Lemon Treats from around the web:
Paleo Lemon Cream Sandwich Cookies – Beauty and the Foodie
Paleo Lemon Curd – Flavour & Savour
Stay in DA KNOW (and get special behind-the-scenes info) by following along with FFF on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!