Quick and easy Instant Pot Tomato Sauce has cooked-all-day flavor, but only needs 20 minutes! Versatile, flavorful, and so simple to make!
*Chef 👩🍳 Kiss*
I just had to start this post that way because THIS SAUCE. OMG.
It’s SO FREAKING FLAVORFUl…like it had been simmering in a little Italian Grandma’s kitchen for 4 hours but PSYCH! It was only in the Instant Pot for 20 MINUTES.
Honestly, I never wanted to make my own tomato sauce because it took so much tiiiiime.
But now? I foresee homemade tomato sauce in both of our futures.
Maybe mixed into some beef and cabbage pasta bowls? The tomato opportunities are ENDLESS my friends.
Why you will LOVE This Recipe
You know those staples that you make sure you ALWAYS have in the pantry? Yeah, those canned sauces and vegetables that you can throw into recipes and have a quick meal in a jiffy? WELL, what if I told you that you can save money by making your OWN tomato sauce instant pot?! Today’s recipe makes the most richly flavorful tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes right in the comfort of your kitchen. It’s such a great recipe because it’s easy, incredibly flavorful, and the instant pot cooks it so fast. You will not regret whipping up a batch (or 5) of this tasty sauce!
Why Fresh Tomatoes VS Canned Tomatoes?
You might be wondering why on earth I would develop a recipe for homemade tomato sauce when you can easily pick up a can or two from the grocery store. Canned tomato sauce is a fantastic pantry staple to have on hand, BUT instant pot fresh tomato sauce will bring a new element to your cooking! This homemade sauce has a much fresher, more unique taste than typical canned sauces and really isn’t difficult to make, as the instant pot does all the work!
You’ll love the ingredients that this instant pot tomato sauce calls for- they are whole foods and fragrant, flavorful spices and NO funny additives that you can’t pronounce. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- Olive Oil
- Tomato Paste
- Dried Basil
- Dried Tarragon
- Dried Oregano
- Black Pepper
- Head of Garlic
How to make Instant Pot Tomato Sauce
Turn on the instant pot and set it to the sautee mode. Add in the oil and onion and cook until browned.
Add in all the remaining ingredients besides the extra oil and garlic and stir to combine in the instant pot.
Prep the Garlic
Cut the tips off the head of garlic and rub oil on it. Wrap the garlic in 2 layers of tinfoil tightly, and place it in the center of the ingredients in the instant pot.
Set the instant pot to “sealing” and cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
Steam release instantly, then transfer the sauce to your blender. Remove the garlic from its packet and add as much as your heart desires to the blender. Season to taste with salt, and bend until smooth.
Use the tomato sauce as desired and DEVOUR!
How do you keep Tomato Sauce from burning in the instant pot?
Since tomatoes are made up of a lot of water, there’s not much risk of burning for this sauce. You will want to make sure when mixing, however, that the spices in this recipe do not touch the bottom of your instant pot. This will prevent any burning from happening!
Recipes to try with Tomato Sauce in Instant Pot
Like I mentioned before, tomato sauce is one of those necessary ingredients to have kicking around because it is SO versatile and adds depth, flavor, and nutrition to many different dishes. Here are a few ways you can use it:
- With meatballs: Simmer up a pot of this sauce with some delicious vegan chickpea meatballs or healthy turkey meatballs.
- In meatloaf: Check out my Easy Low Carb Paleo Meatloaf recipe, and use this tomato sauce instead of the canned version it calls for!
Healthy Recipes to use this sauce with:
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Olive oil, divided
- 2/3 Cup Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 Medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 lb Tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Dried basil
- 1 1/2 tsp Dried tarragon
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/2-1 tsp Salt to taste (start with less and add more, we like 1 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 Head of garlic
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil on saute mode. Add in the onion and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add in all the ingredients except the remaining oil and garlic and stir until well mixed.
- Cut the tips off the garlic head and peel off the thin, papery skin.Rub the remaining oil into the top of the garlic.
- Wrap the garlic in two layers of tinfoil to make a packet and place it into the Instant Pot
- Cover the pot (make sure it's set to sealing) and cook for 20 minutes.
- Steam release instantly and transfer to a blender (take out the garlic first)
- Add as much garlic as you want into the blender and then blend then sauce until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
For This Recipe, I recommend:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!