These Homemade Air Fried Onion Rings are impossibly crispy without any oil! A healthy alternative that the family will love with a gluten free option!
PIN Homemade Air Fried Onion Rings
Ahhhhhhh yea! The air fryer recipe to end all air fryer recipes.
I mean, air fryer coconut shrimp or air fryer chicken nuggets are great and all…but onion rings will FOREVER be my love.
Fun fact: I don’t even really LOVE french fries (although I have a soft spot in my heart for air fryer sweet potato fries) but this girl will NOT pass up onion rings.
Especially these ones. Dare I say they are even MORE crispy than the fried version.
Crazy, but true.
Are Air Fried Onion Rings crispy?
The air fryer is seriously sent from heaven, in my opinion! Pop food in, and it comes out crispy, hot, and tastes like it’s deep fried when REALLY, it’s just been air fried! If you didn’t already know my obsession, NOW YOU DO! These onion rings in the air fryer really are no exception- they seriously taste like they’re straight out of the deep fryer. You’re going to love the crispy coating and better-for-you ingredients that make these onion rings AMAZING!
Onion Rings Air Fryer Ingredients
Like many of my recipes, the list of ingredients for these onion rings isn’t very long or complicated. It uses wholesome ingredients that you may already have in your pantry and fridge, and the secret to the flavor is using the right spices! Here’s what you will need:
- Small Onion
- Panko (gluten free if you want to make gluten free onion rings)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- White Whole Wheat Flour (or gf 1:1 flour blend)
- Eggs, whisked
- Milk of choice
I guarantee you are going to make this recipe for air fryer onion rings again, because not only does it taste GREAT, it also has some healthy ingredients that I used instead of the usual ones. Here are the changes I made to make this a healthier choice:
- Oil: Instead of oil, I used air! Ha ha- it may sound funny but it’s true. The flavor and texture will not lack at all!
- White flour: Instead of regular all purpose flour, I went with white whole wheat for a healthier option. If you need these to be gluten free, you can also sub in gf flour!
- Milk: You can use almond milk, regular milk, or any other type you desire!
How to Make Air Fried Onion Rings
Taking your onion, slice it into ½ inch thick rounds and place them in a bowl of water. Set aside.
Mix the spices
In a large ziploc bag, place the panko, garlic powder, salt, paprika and onion powder and close the bag. Shake until well combined, then spread evenly on a large rimmed plate.
Whisk the egg in a small bowl and set aside. Finally, spread the flour on a large rimmed plate.
Remove an onion ring from the water and shake it dry. Dredge it in the flour, then dunk it in the egg, shaking off excess. Next, use your hands to coat it in the panko and spice mixture. Place it in the basket of your air fryer. Repeat these steps with all of the onion slices until the basket of your air fryer is full, with some room between each ring.
Cook the onion rings at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown and crispy. Keep them warm in a 200 degree oven until all the onion rings are done; I needed to do 3 batches until they were all cooked!
How Long to Cook Onion Rings
How do you like your onion rings cooked? If you’re like me, GOLDEN AND CRISPY is my final answer! To get the perfect cook on your onion rings so that they come out crispy as can be, it will take about 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees!
What sauce do you use for Onion Rings?
These tasty rings of deliciousness are great all on their own, but dipping sauces are so fun to play around with! If you like dipping and dunking your onion rings, I recommend:
- Sugar Free Low Carb BBQ sauce
- Avocado Cilantro Dip
- Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
Other Healthy Air Fryer Recipes
- 1 Small onion,
- 1 Cup Panko (GF if needed)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 5 Tbsp White whole wheat flour (or GF 1:1 baking blend)
- 2 Eggs, Whisked
- 2 Tbsp Milk, of choice
- Slice the onion into 1/2 inch thick rounds and place into a bowl of water.
- In a large, ziploc bag, shake together the panko, garlic powder, salt, paprika and onion powder. Spread it into a shallow, rimmed plate. Place the egg into a small bowl and whisk together with the milk. Finally, spread the flour into a separate shallow, rimmed plate.
- Remove an onion ring from the water, shaking it dry. Dredge it in the flour until coated, then into the egg, shaking off the excess. Use your dry hand to dip into into the panko, covering it well. Place the ring into the mesh basket of your air fryer and repeat with the onions until the basket is filled, but some room remains around each ring.
- Cook at 400 degrees until golden brown and crispy, about 8-12 minutes. Keep them warm in a 200 degree oven while you repeat with the rest of the things - I needed to do about 3 batches for the whole onion.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!
Leave a Comment