This Healthy Egg Salad Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a fun twist on a classic that is quick, easy and great for kids and adults! High protein and GF option!
PIN Healthy Egg Salad Grilled Cheese Sandwich
You guys. I think I’ve been body snatched.
In fact, I’m not even sure who’s typing this right now, you may be reading the words of an alien.
I may be being SLIGHTLY (read: a lot, but what else is new) over-dramatic, but I am doing ALL THE THINGS that I promised myself I would never ever do.
It all began with these Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers.
I made a meatless burger. I liked it. I ate it again and again, and there may have been a few more agains. I was so anti veggie burgers before the massive amount of veggie burger consumption, that my identity slowly began to unravel. (again, a teeeeny bit dramatic)
And then there’s today. I’m completely and totally late…for National Grilled Cheese Day.
I’m that girl that is always “early or I’m late” and it drives the huberoni crazy. He’s more of “if I’m not late, I’m too early” kinda guy.
You can image the fun we have when we have to go to events that start a certain times.
April 12 is actually grilled cheese day. But, guess who has two thumbs and waited till the very end of April to join the party? This girl.
Can we just call it “fashionably late” for the sake of I’m-not-sure-who-I-am-and-I-REALLY-don’t-want-to-be-an-alien-because-green-isn’t-my-color-so-I-need-my-abnormal-taylor-actions-justified? Great.
All talk of space creatures aside, I promise this healthy egg salad grilled cheese sandwich is worth the wait. You know what, I’m even going to go as far as to say that I held out on you on purpose, for the sake of suspense.
Even if you didn’t know this healthy egg salad recipe was coming, so there really was no suspense. Whatever. You understand me.
If you are a fan of healthy egg salad, you’ll totally be diggin’ this sammy. Especially if you dunk it in a creamy bowl of keto tomato soup. HEAVEN.
Is Egg Salad Healthy?
Typically egg salad is loaded with Mayo which makes it not considered “healthy.” You all know I’m all about everything in moderation so you can totally use Mayo if your heart desires! But, to make this a little bit “healthier” we are using Greek yogurt!
Plus it adds ALL THE PROTEIN to this healthy egg salad grilled cheese sandwich. You know how I feel about protein.
Best part about this healthy egg salad sandwich with CHEESE is that you can use your leftover Easter eggs or air fryer hard boiled eggs to make it! I might have missed grilled cheese day, but you better believe I planned this recipe to go live right after Easter for a reason.
Best part about this the sequel? You can eat it for breakfast, since there are eggs. You can eat it for lunch, since it’s a sandwich. And You can eat it for dinner, because I said so. And…cheese.
So, whenever you’re reading this, you should also be eating it. Capeesh?
Other Recipes You Might Like:
Gluten Free Grilled Cheese Hummus Sandwich
Mexican Avocado Spread Sandwiches with Sprouts
Superfood Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp 2% Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Green onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Smoked paprika or regular
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp Room temperature butter
- 4 Slices Bread, of choice (I used GF pumpernickel)
- 2 Oz Cheddar cheese, sliced
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, Greek yogurt, green onion, onion powder, smoked paprika and garlic powder. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Rub one side of all the slices of bread with butter (3/4 tsp per slice.) Additionally, heat a griddle on medium/low heat.
- Lay all the slices of bread, butter side down on the heated griddle, placing sliced cheese over two of the bread slices (1 oz of cheese per slice)
- Cook until the cheese begins to melt and the underside of each slice of bread is lightly golden and crispy, about 3-6 minutes.
- Transfer the slices to a plate, and divide the egg salad mixture evenly between the slices of bread with the melted cheese. Top with remaining, plain bread.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 12 POINTS+: 11. OLD POINTS: 10
(per 1 sandwich, based off the recipe making 2. Will vary slightly depending on your bread. Mine was 90 calories per slice)
Leave a Comment