Cookies. With PROTEIN.
Liiiiike, cookies that are gonna build your MUSCLE!
You in? you’re in. I know it.
And these here cookies? OMG a mega yum.
I mean….there are sprinkles. Do you even need to question how delicious they are?
Pair them with a chocolate protein shake and you are on your way to muscle town!
Health Benefits of Protein
Our bodies are SO important- I mean, they carry us through each day doing ALL the things, so it’s important that we take good care of them! Protein is one of those nutrients that our bodies need, and I love creating recipes like homemade pumpkin protein bars and protein peanut butter cups that pack a punch in the protein department but ALSO taste like dessert! Today’s high protein cookies are loaded with protein, made with better-for-you ingredients, and are absolutely delicious on top of all of that! Here are some health benefits of incorporating a good amount of protein into your diet:
- Reduces Appetite: Consuming protein will keep you full for a while!
- Increases Muscle Mass and Strength: Adding more protein to your diet will definitely help you to feel stronger as you go about your day to day routine.
- Boosts Metabolism: Protein can speed up your metabolism and burns fat faster, too.
- Lowers Blood Pressure: This can reduce your chances of experiencing a heart attack or stroke.
The ingredients required to bake up a batch of healthy protein cookies are healthy, whole ingredients that you’ll feel good about eating and feeding your family, too! Three cheers for desserts with good-for-you ingredients that also give you energy AND keep you full! Let’s round up the ingredients and get started:
- Cashew Butter
- Organic Butter Extract
- Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- Baking Soda
- Rainbow Sprinkles
How to make Protein Cookies
Turn on your oven and let it preheat while you work. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
Melt the cashew butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Add in the honey and butter extract and blend with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Add in the egg and beat once more.
Add in the protein powder, salt and baking soda and stir until everything is well mixed and you have a sticky ball of dough.
Pour your sprinkles onto a large rimmed plate. Roll the dough into balls and then roll them in the sprinkles until they are well coated. Place them on the prepared cookie sheet.
Press the cookies down quite a bit, then pop them in the oven to bake. Bake just until they are set and the cookies have risen. Cool completely, then DEVOUR!
Top Tips for making Protein Cookies
- Weigh the protein: This is important because by weighing the protein powder, you can ensure you won’t use too much of it. Using too much protein powder will result in dry cookies.
- Use a No-Stir Nut Butter: The no stir variety of cashew butter is the best because the oil doesn’t separate!
- Bake until JUST set: It’s ok if the cookies are a bit soft when you pull them from the oven. They will firm up! I recommend pulling them when they have JUST set, so they will be chewy and not too dry.
I’m all about switching up recipes to suit my needs and preferences, and I recommend you do the same for yourself and your crew! Here are a few ways to modify this protein cookie recipe:
Different Protein Flavor: Although I used vanilla protein powder, you could totally go with a chocolate or strawberry flavor! Chocolate protein powder and chocolate sprinkles would be delicious, and strawberry would pair well with chocolate or rainbow sprinkles!
Different Nut Butter: I used cashew butter in this recipe, however almond butter or peanut butter would also be tasty!
How to Store Cookies
When it comes to storing these cookies, I recommend letting them cool completely, then placing them in an airtight container. Store them at room temperature for 2-3 days.
How to Freeze
Store these cookies in an airtight, freezer safe container or freezer ziploc bag for up to 3 months and thaw and enjoy whenever the craving hits!
How to Reheat
Don’t put these cookies in the microwave, as it will dry them out! Simply pull them an hour or so before you want to enjoy them, and let them thaw on the counter. Enjoy!
Protein Cookie FAQ
YES! I recommend weighing protein powder when you bake it, but it is a great way to up the protein content while enjoying baked goods!
I recommend using your favorite flavor of whey protein powder! Feel free to try another kind and let me know how it goes!
There is approximately 3.4 grams of protein per serving!
Other recipes you might like:
- 1/2 Cup Cashew butter
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Organic Butter extract
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 Cup Vanilla Whey protein powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 Cup Rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the cashew butter until creamy and smooth, about 1 minutes.
- Add the honey and butter extract into the cashew and beat, using an electric hand mixer, until well combined.
- Add in the egg and beat until well combined.
- Add the protein powder, baking soda and salt into the bowl and stir until well mixed and a sticky, wet dough forms.
- Pour the sprinkles into a small, shallow plate with sides. Roll the dough into 1 Tbsp sized balls and then roll just the top half and sides into the sprinkles, and place onto the prepared cookie sheet, sprinkle-side up. At first the dough is a little messy to roll, but gets much easier. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Press the cookies down quite flat, about 1/3 of an inch thick, and bake until the top feels just set and the cookies rise, about 12-13 minutes. Let cool completely on the pan.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE SMARTPOINTS: 2 POINTS+: 2. OLD POINTS: 2
(per 1 cookie, could vary slightly based on your protein powder)
STAY IN DA KNOW ABOUT BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO GOING ON AT FFF BY KEEPING IN TOUCH ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!