Table of Contents
Crispy, crunchy and butter shortbread cookies are what Christmas is ALL about, don’t you agree?
Why you will LOVE This Recipe
There’s nothing better than cookies at Christmas time, in my opinion (and probably yours!!). I’m all about keeping my cookie game STRONG this time of year, with lots of options like flourless gluten free chocolate cookies, chocolate mint avocado cookies and SO many more! Today’s vegan shortbread cookie recipe is going to keep you coming back for more, because these cookies are so buttery and the soft and crumbly texture is ON POINT for everything you want shortbread to be! They also contain no dairy products, making them an option for those eating vegan and dairy free. They are the perfect dessert to bring to any holiday party this year.
Let’s Talk All Purpose Flour
When it comes to baking, flour is a must-have. It’s in almost all of my baking recipes, and there are so many different kinds to experiment with when making baked goods. If you’re familiar with my cookie recipes, such as my Whipped Gluten Free Shortbread Cookies or healthy whole wheat avocado chocolate chip cookies, you’ll know that I usually use whole grain flours or grain free varieties such as almond, oat or coconut flour.
HOWEVER, sometimes you’ve just got to use good old regular all purpose flour and THIS is one of those times. These Healthy Shortbread Cookies call for it, because let’s be honest here: sometimes you just have to go for the real thing because it tastes better! Yes, I’m all about using ingredients to nourish your body but I’m also about nourishing your soul and making memories. These cookies are made with all purpose flour, and a plate full of them shared with family and friends will do just that!
Shortbread Cookie Ratio
When making Dairy Free Vegan Shortbread Cookies or the ratio of ingredients is a lot more important than you might think. It’s pretty simple if you remember it this way:
1 part sugar: 2 parts butter: 3 parts flour
Using ratios is a lot easier than using percentages, and here’s why: If the recipe says to use 33% butter, that leaves 67% for the rest of the ingredients. BUT saying “33% butter” still doesn’t give us enough information, so that’s why I prefer to go by ratios!
Whether you want a small batch for your immediate family to enjoy or a whole lot of shortbread goodness to serve up at the company holiday party, using this 1:2:3 ratio, you can make whatever quantity of shortbread you want!
Shortbread is a must have dessert this time of year (if you couldn’t tell by the pistachio whipped shortbread cookies and or cranberry pistachio gluten free shortbread!) It’s buttery, it’s tasty, it screams Christmastime, and on top of that, it’s super EASY to make! I am ALL ABOUT it and you will be too once you try these cookies! You will only need a few ingredients to make them:
- Vegan Butter, at room temperature
- Powdered Sugar
- All Purpose Flour
Yep- that’s all you need! Holiday baking doesn’t always need to be complicated and that’s why this Vegan Shortbread Cookie Recipe is one of my absolute faves!
Can I use regular butter?
When I think of shortbread, I usually think of three ingredients: butter, sugar, and flour. This Dairy Free Vegan Shortbread Cookies recipe is vegan, so it calls for vegan butter. But can you substitute regular butter and the recipe still turn out? The answer is YES, absolutely! Vegan butter and regular butter are so versatile and can easily be substituted for the other, which is so handy when it comes to baking for vegan and non-vegan friends and family. Just remember that if you use regular butter in this recipe, the cookies will not be vegan friendly.
How to make Vegan Shortbread Cookies
Turn on the oven so that it can heat up while you work on the cookie dough. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
Add the butter and sugar to a bowl, mixing with an electric hand mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Add in the flour and salt and stir it in until it is well combined.
Roll out your dough on a floured surface, then carefully cut into squares. Transfer them to the prepared baking sheet.
Bake the shortbread until the edges are golden brown, then remove from the oven.
Let the cookies cool COMPLETELY on the cookie sheet, then serve and DEVOUR!
If you like the sounds of these easy vegan shortbread cookies but want to switch things up or dress them up a bit, go for it! You could use 1:1 gluten free flour instead of all purpose flour, if needed or desired. Also, feel free to add in some dried cranberries or mini chocolate chips and maybe a dash of cinnamon for some extra fun flavor! Melting dark or white chocolate and drizzling it overtop or dunking the cookies into it would also make these cookies extra indulgent.
How to store the BEST Vegan Shortbread Cookies
These cookies will stay fresh in the fridge when stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To freeze, simply label the airtight container and pop it in the freezer where they will last up to 3 months.
Other Healthy Christmas Cookies
- 1/2 Cup Vegan butter, at room temp
- 1/2 Cup Powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 Cups All purpose flour (171g)
- Pinch of salt
- Pre heat your oven to 325 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, use an electric hand mixer to beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add in the flour and salt and stir until well combined and a dough forms.
- Lightly flour your counter and roll the shortbread to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 18 squares
- Transfer to the baking sheet (and offset spatula helps!) and bake until the edges are lightly golden brown, about 18-20 minutes. They set up a lot once cool.
- Let cool on the pan COMPLETELY.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
WEIGHT WATCHERS POINTS PER SERVING: FREESTYLE POINTS: 7 POINTS+: 4 OLD POINTS: 3
(per 1 cookie)
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!