Ever wondered how to cook crock pot sweet potatoes? I’m showing you how seriously easy it is to make them, and they come out perfect every time!
Table of Contents
Why you Will LOVE This Recipe
They’re one of those “staple foods” that everyone should know how to cook except, for some reason, “how to cook sweet potatoes” gets searched over XYZ number of times on Google.
I swear. Everyone on planet Earth is wondering how to do it. What temperature? How long? Cooking the perfect sweet potato is an ART you guys.
Although I am a food blogger and make all kinds of crazy recipes, making a basic sweet potato has been something that has ALLUDED (big word) me. Truth be told, I usually make them too hard and then they are nasty and gross and make me never want to eat sweet potatoes again.
Sooo, in an effort to stop both myself from having another failed sweet potato, AND stopping Y-O-U, I decided to see if you could make the PERFECT baked sweet potato in a CROCK POT.
Spoiler alert: YOU CAN.
These sweet potatoes are seriously fool proof, so easy AND they come out PERFECT every time. Like, fork-tender, buttery and soft and altogether AWESOME kinda perfect.
The slow cooker is also the bee’s knees (who says that?) because you can cook a bunch of sweet potatoes all at once. You can make some crock pot sweet potatoes for dinner AND cook a few extra to whip up a sweet potato breakfast bowl in the morning!
Look at you, winning at good-for-you meals AND meal prep.
How To Cook Sweet Potatoes in a Crock Pot
Wash the sweet potato and scrub off any dirt from the skin. No need to dry it, as the moisture helps cook it. But, make sure it’s not DRIPPING wet.
Use a fork to prick holes at least ¼ inch deep ALL over the sweet potato. Pretty much exactly like you do with a baked potato.
Stick your potatoes in the bottom of your crock pot and put on the lid.
Cook them until they’re perfectly tender which is 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high, depending on the size of your potato, as well as your slow cooker.
What is the Difference Between a Crock Pot and a Slow Cooker?
A CrockPot is the name of a slow cooker brand that was first introduced in the 1970s. Due to the popularity of the brand the terms crock pot and slow cooker are used interchangeably.
Can you Make These Sweet Potatoes in an Oven?
Absolutely. These Sweet Potatoes can be baked in an oven if you do not have a crock pot. Be careful as the cooking time will be different and depend on the potatoes’ size.
For regular-sized potatoes, preheat the oven to 330 degrees and follow the same steps as above: wash, prick holes, layer the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and pop them in for around 1.5 hours.
How to Enjoy Baked Sweet Potatoes?
- These sweet potatoes are delicious straight out of the crock pot but a little seasoning and toppings only make them better. I usually season mine with a slab of butter and have it as a side dish.
- If you want yours to be on the sweeter side you can drizzle a little bit of honey and cinnamon or even sprinkle some brown sugar!
- I also sometimes eat sweet potatoes as a main. All I do is top it with some meat, like ground beef or ground turkey with a pinch of salt and pepper. Delicious!
Are Sweet Potatoes Faster to Cook than Regular Potatoes?
In general, sweet potatoes cook faster than regular potatoes. However, it also depends on the size of the potato. Smaller ones tend to cook much faster than bigger-sized ones.
How to Store Cooked Sweet Potatoes for Later?
Place the cooked potato in an airtight container or a sealable bag. These potatoes will last in the fridge for up to 2 days.
You can also freeze them and keep them for up to 3 months but make sure first they have completely cooled down.
What Goes Well With Sweet Potatoes?
People usually enjoy sweet potatoes for breakfast or as a side dish along with some protein or veggies. Here are some of my favorite recipes along which you can serve these sweet potatoes.
- For breakfast: with some delicious microwave soft boiled eggs.
- The simple but classic combination: serve your sweet potatoes with some crispy breaded air fryer chicken or an oven baked bacon wrapped chicken breast with avocado salsa.
- Go for an Italian twist: serve your sweet potatoes with a healthy zucchini noodle pasta salad with pesto sauce.
- Keeping the salad trend going: you can also serve these sweet potatoes with one of my all time favourite Mediterranean low carb broccoli salad.
Now you know how to make the perfect crock pot sweet potatoes. No longer do you have to take up space in your oven when you need to cook something ELSE for dinner.
Not a Fan of Sweet Potatoes, What Alternative to Use?
The good thing about a Crock Pot is that you can use it for practically anything. I know a lot of people aren’t fans of sweet potatoes, but you can use the same recipe for any of your other favorite veggies. A good alternative would be to use butternut squash. You use the same steps to prep and the same amount of time to cook!
Get this recipe with Facebook Messenger
- 4 Large sweet potatoes
- Large slow cooker
- Wash the sweet potato and scrub off any dirt from the skin. No need to dry it, as the moisture helps cook it. But, make sure it’s not DRIPPING wet.
- Use a fork to prick holes at least ¼ inch deep ALL over the sweet potato. Pretty much exactly like you do with a baked potato.
- Put your potatoes in the bottom of your slow cooker and put on the lid
- Cook them until they’re perfectly tender which is 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high, depending on the size of your potato, as well as your slow cooker.
Recipes written and produced on Food Faith Fitness are for informational purposes only.