Alright, so it’s January 2nd. That means that everyone is all about getting fit, skinny, in shape, insert whatever word you describe your ideal body as here.
Ya’ll know that I preach healthy eating here at Food Faith Fitness, but I also want to talk a little bit about body image seeing as now is the time when everyone is trying to “get lean.” We live in a world of social pressure and the media tells us that if we are skinny and beautiful, we will be happy. We will have it all if we just lose that 10, 20, 30, whatever lbs. We see ripped girls and guys on the front cover of magazines and we think they are living the dream.
Can, I be honest with you, those magazine covers are lying. What you don’t see is the emotional and mental stress that those girls and guys on the front cover of fitness magazines (usually) go through in order to look that way. I have never been on a magazine or anything but, at one point in my life, I was training to compete in figure competitions. That was until I realized that even though I had 7% body fat, I:
1) Was completely miserable
2) Still wasn’t happy with my body and found little spots of “fat” to pick at.
3) Completely hermit-ed up, and avoided all social situations since most involved eating. If I did go out, I would bring a little bag of plain chicken and steamed cauliflower and eat it in the bathroom stall so that I wouldn’t be tempted to eat the “bad” food.
I wish that last point was a joke, but it’s not you guys. I was ca-ray-zay with a capital crazy. And, like I said, I was MISERABLE. All letters are capitalized for emphasis. I mean business guys.
I just want to share a few things from my experience with training for a competition.
1) Being healthy is good. It’s good for your body, your mind, and your soul. God designed us to take care of our bodies in order to be able to do all the things required to enjoy a happy and healthy, full life. HOW-EV-ER did He not create cheesecake too? So, eat it. In moderation. Yum.
2) Don’t feel guilt for enjoying a treat every so often. It’s what you eat 80% of the time that dictates what you look like, not the other 20%. Honestly, I am still working on this one. I’m not ashamed to say that I still have some issues with food that used to be on my “naughty” list.
3) Don’t think you’ll be happy when you lose 10 lbs. You won’t. You’ll just find something else about yourself to hate. Trust me, I was hospitalized for anorexia at 75 lbs and I was definitely not happy, and I thought I was severely overweight. Be happy NOW! You can choose it and you deserve it! Don’t do things that don’t bring you joy. Side note: Please don’t stop cleaning your house and then tell your hubby that Taylor said to stop doing things that don’t bring you joy. Ya’ll know what things need to be done and what things you can stop doing in order to just be.happy.
4) Love yourself for now. For who are now, in this instant. God created you the way you are, and you are like NO ONE ELSE. Isn’t that awesome? That should make you feel beautiful, special and valued no matter what the number on the scale says to you. Sidenote 2: Let’s try to stop using the scale and just judge ourselves by how we feel. Do we feel happy and healthy? Cool, we’ve good. Also, something I am working through.
I do not claim to have it all together and, in fact, I have a lot of issues to work through and am generally a big ‘ol mess. Maybe not big, I’m only 5’2, but you get what I mean. I also don’t claim to have all the secrets to unlocking happiness. However, I have learned a bunch through my struggles with anorexia, and attempting to train for figure competitions. I just felt like now was a good time to share them with you. If you want to lose the last 10 lbs, great! I am here for you and totally cheering you on! I hope that all my healthy recipes make the process enjoyable for you. But, let it be that: enjoyable. Enjoy the journey to the new you, it’s not just a destination it is a process. Give yourself grace and live in moderation. Enjoy your life. Live it to the full. Be happy.
I love you all and Happy New Year! Xoxo
We return to your regular recipe broadcasting tomorrow.