These healthier bacon wrapped hot dogs are covered in homemade salsa verde and queso fresco. Quick, easy and great for kids or adults!
Remember that day that I made healthy chicken enchildas for breakfast because I had a disappointing restaurant experience?
Well, “Food Disappointment…..The sequel” has happened in the land of Taylor.
I have had a SERIOUS paleo burger craving for about a month (usually I am not the biggest fan) and it was time to cave.
I had been ignoring aforementioned craving due to fear and food issues but, like I mentioned last week, I am seriously trying to kick that in the butt.
So, we went to Red Robin. They are KNOWN for their burgers so I figured it was a safe bet.
I ordered the Guacamole Bacon Cheeseburger. I mean, come on, how can cheese, avocado and bacon go wrong. (Foreshadowing)
I was so excited for a messy, burger all over my face, in my hair and probably even my toes (too much?) experience…and then, my burger was dry.
And if I was playing hide and seek with guacamole and bacon, they would win. Because I could not find them anywhere.
I think I am cursed with going out to eat and I should just sit at home and eat my favorite oatmeal recipe with blueberry cheesecake swirl all day.
Again, I had to remedy the situation.
Since there have been quite a few Burger recipes lately, like a jalapeno popper burger and a Hawaiian pizza burger, I decided to throw something new at you; a hotdog (read: I haven’t had one in YEARS, so I really just wanted one for myself, because I’m selfish like that.)
HOW-EV-ER, after all the recent failings lately, it could not be no ordinary hot dog. No siree Bob, it could not.
So, I covered it with cheese (Y), made it a BACON wrapped hot dog (E) and added HOMEMADE (S) Salsa Verde (!!!)
Did you even know how crazy easy it is to make your own salsa verde? AND it tastes better than its evil twin (the canned stuff.)
Plus, roasting the tomatillos (funnest worst to say in all the evers) and jalapenos gives a smokey flavor that is the bomb diggity.
Is that a cool thing to say anymore? I do not know.
These little bacon wrapped hot dogs are about 42.5 billion times healthier than my burger experience, and about 43 billion times more Nom City.
Pro tip: Make sure you wash your hands REALLY well after cutting jalapeno peppers before touching something like, well, your eyeballs.
Not that I know anything about that.
Bacon Wrapped Turkey Dogs with Salsa Verde and Queso Fresco
- Salsa verde:
- 2 cup Medium tomatillos just over 1/4 once broiled and mashed
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper
- Juiced from the roasted tomatillos and jalapeno.
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced *
- 2 Tbsp Onion diced
- 1/4 Cilantro roughly chopped
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 2 Turkey Franks
- 2 Slices of Turkey bacon
- 2 Whole wheat hot dog buns
- 2 Oz Queso Fresco crumbled
- To make the salsa verde:
- Line a small baking tray with tinfoil and turn your broiled to high.
- Peel the papery skin off the tomatillos and place them, along with the jalapeno pepper, onto the prepared baking tray and broil until the skin goes dark, about 15 mins. Flip and repeat for another 10-15 mins. My jalapeno was done a little bit before the tomatillos, so I just took it out earlier.
- Mash up the tomatillo and place it into a medium food processor. Also, roughly chop the 1/2 of the jalapeno (about 1 tbsp chopped) and it in as well. **
- Add the rest of the ingredients into the food processor and process until smooth and well combined. Set aside.
- heat your grill up to medium heat.
- Wrap one slice of turkey bacon around each turkey frank, and place cut side down on the grill.
- Grill until each side is cooked and is nice and charred.
- To assemble:
- Spread some of the Salsa verde along one side (or both if you like!) of a bun, and place a turkey frank on top. Cover with queso fresco and DEVOUR!
Recipe Notes* The hubs and I LOVE garlic, so you may want less. Add a little bit to the food processor at a time 🙂
** This salsa verde is quite mild, so feel free to add more jalapeno! But, like the garlic, add a little bit at a time as it easily get's much to spicy. I learned from experience.
Want more recipes to get your grill on?
Don’t forget to enter the $1000 Giveaway!