How do you guys feel about sauce?
Particularly, sauce that is sticky, sweet and only requires 3 ingredients and 5 minutes of your life?
Ya, you like it.
Am I imposing my views on you? Yep. I’m alrighty-roo with that.
Do I actually say “alrighty-roo” in the real world?
Unfortunately for Mr.FFF, yeppers I do.
Here’s the low down. Take 3 ingredients (6 if you want to be nit picky and count the chicken, turkey bacon and water chestnuts) and boil them for >3 minutes. Stir. Pour over the bacon hugged clucky breasts (In case you don’t know my lingo yet, that is Taylor-speak for “Chicken breasts”) and pop it in the oven. Out comes salty-sweet-sticky-hello-get-in-my-face-right-now.
But wait, there’s more!
All that ah-may-zing-ness is hit with a crunchy POW of water chestnuts. That is my kinda dinner yo.
Are you familiar with those little bacon wrapped water chestnuts you see at fancy parties? Or non-fancy parties actually. Either way, they are one of my favourite appetizers. But, as much as I want 1000 of them in my face all at once, that cannot be a full meal. Then, this happened.
This brought me great joy ‘cause it was like eating 1000 of them but in a justifiable healthy meal form. Oh yeahhhhh baby.
Was that creepy? It might have been creepy.
Just ignore the weirdness that is me trying to get back into my blogging groove (or maybe the sun fried my brain?) and remember 3 things:
1) Brown sugar
3) 5 minutes.
4) 3 ingredients-ish.
Yaya, that’s five. I had trouble narrowing it down. It’s been a vague-on-the-numbers kinda day.
Roll with it.
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 2 slices of turkey bacon
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- For the sauce:
- 2½ Tbsps Brown sugar
- 1½ Tbsp Splenda (or use all brown sugar if you please)
- ¼ Cup Reduced-sugar ketchup (regular is fine too)
- ¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ an 8 oz tin of water chestnuts, chopped
- Green onion, for garnish.
- Hot cooked rice, quinoa, cous cous etc. for serving.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wrap one piece of turkey bacon around each chicken breast, securing with a toothpick if needed.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a pan over med/high heat.
- Brown the chicken in the oil on each side, just for a minute or two per side (until the bacon is nice and seared.)
- Once the chicken is browned, transfer to small baking pan or dish with sides.
- While the chicken cooks, mix the brown sugar, Splenda, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce in a small sauce pan.
- Over medium/high heat, bring the sauce to a boil, stiring regularly. Boil for a minute or two, until it has begun to thicken up.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken (reserve some for serving over rice, quinoa etc) and throw it in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice and top with water chestnuts and green onion.
PS…How do you guys like the new layout of the blog? Let me know!