This Taco Salad Recipe is quick, easy and healthy! It’s loaded with chicken, avocado, cheese, and covered in lighter ranch dressing!
I hate leftover ingredients.
Leftover full meals? Those are grand. One less meal for me to cook.
But, a bunch of random ingredients from a bunch of different meals that were previous cooked?
UGH. Worst. Ever.
Mostly because there are only 2 of us in the house, so I try to only buy what I need for the recipes I am planning to test that week, or else things just start rotting.
Which means there are never any “filler ingredients” to make a bunch of random items seem cohesive.
But, once a week or so, I make myself a “leftover ingredient” dinner.
I do not look forward to this day. And neither does Mr.FFF.
Especially if I made stir fry and brownies that week.
Pineapple chicken chocolate zucchini noodles anyone?
Nattt so good.
HOWEVER, sometime (read: once) my leftovers MADE SENSE you guys.
Like, I had lettuce. And other veggies. And chicken and even some cheese.
THERE WAS EVEN AN AVOCADO (!!!)
These are the things that I find exciting. Feel free to judge me.
And so became the first (and probably last) leftover ingredient dinner that I could actually share with you, and wouldn’t make you run for the hills in horror.
Or, at least just question my taste bud’z cred’.
Unfortunately, I have not had the required ingredients to re-eat this salad fo’ realz since that fateful day, how-ev-er, the re-eatage has happened many a time in my brain.
Sidenote: This dinner also brought the huberoni happiness in his belly, which is a win because 1. As mentioned above he ain’t no friend to the weekly leftover meal and 2. He also ain’t no friend to a meal that is 90% vegetation.
Sidenote, the sequel: I just made the hubanana sound like the most un-friendly human on Earth but, in fact, he is the FRIENDLIEST human on earth. I always say that he can make friends with a stick.
I’m kidding. Sort of.
I’m tempted to tell you that it’s a fiesta in your mouth, but that is so cliché. I can’t say that.
Except I just did. In a total ninja-like sneaky way. SUCCESS.
There’s bacon, cheese, ranch and vegetative deliciousness. Oh, and there is H-E-A-L-T-H
I had me at bacon and cheese.
I knew there was a reason why I liked you.
- 2 Small Chicken breasts
- 4 Slices Turkey bacon
- ½ Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Cup Red Pepper, sliced (about ½ a large pepper)
- 1½ Cups Zucchini, sliced (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- Salt to taste.
- 4 Cups Lettuce of choice
- ¼ Cup Chopped cilantro
- ⅓ Cup Reduced-fat grated Cheddar cheese
- ½ A sliced avocado
- Ranch dressing of choice. (I like Fat-free Hidden Valley. *)
- To cook the chicken breasts:
- Spray your grill with cooking spray and heat it to medium-high. Place the chicken breast on and grill it until it is no longer pink inside. This takes about 4-6 minutes per side (make sure you flip it half way through!)
- While the chicken grills, spray a large pan with cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat. Cook the turkey bacon until it is nice and crispy, just about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and transfer to a paper towel to absorb any excess grease. Tear into small pieces.
- Heat the oil up in the bacon pan, still on medium-high heat, and toss in the red pepper, zucchini, garlic and season with a little bit of salt. Sautee the vegetables until they are a soft and slightly browned, which takes roughly 3-4 minutes.
- Toss the cooked veggies into a bowl and add the bacon pieces, lettuce, cilantro, grated cheddar cheese, avocado slices and as much Ranch dressing as you want. Mix well until all the lettuce is coated with the dressing.
- Transfer the mixed salad to two plates and top with a grilled chicken breast.
I also shared this recipe over on my friends Taylor’s (!!!) beautiful blog – Greens & Chocolate! Check it out!
Want more Salads?
Other yummy salads from around the web that I want to NOM:
Sesame Salad with Edamame – Ruffles & Truffles
Grilled Vegetable Salad with BBQ Ranch Dressing – Cook The Story
Caprese Corn Salad – Very Culinary