This Grilled Red Potato Salad has chicken sausage and a low fat, ranch Greek Yogurt Dressing. A quick and easy, healthy side dish that is perfect for Summer grillin’!
Guess what next week is guys?
You know what that means?
It’s practically SUMMAH!
Ok, I’ll stop asking annoying questions now.
Seriously though, the winter has been long. Says the girl who lives in Florida.
Maybe it hasn’t been long for me, how-ev-er, this girl watches the news, so I am IN to the FORMED about how cold the rest of ya’ll have had it. But, I did invite you over to sun tan and drink Banana Foster Smoothie remember?
Don’t say I don’t TRY to help you.
But, now that it’s summer, it’s time to do a few things. Let’s bullet point it ( <3 my bullets )
- It’s time to GRILL ALL THE THINGS
- It’s time to eat OUTSIDE. On PORCHES or in PARKS. Sidenote: Not sure why I capitalize so many words, it just feels right to my brain.
- It’s time to make food that you can easily transport to aforementioned outside world.
- When I think of Summer, eating outside and food that is easily transported to the outside world, I think of potato salad.
See what I did there? Wrappin’ up ALL the bullets so that this recipe actually makes sense with the written part of the post.
Don’t get used to that though :).
We’re not even going to talk about the necessity of potato salad to any good, outdoor grillin’ partay. We all KNOW that it’s just a required thang.
Not having potato salad with a grill out is like eating a zucchini standing on your head because you think it makes your eyesight better.
It just doesn’t make sense.
I also have absolutely no idea where that came from. I just let my fingers type. Sometimes it’s a poor life choice.
Anyway. I think you figured out that I love potato salad. BUT. I do not LOVE the fact that it’s not the healthiest of yums.
So, I changed that.
Do a little Greek yogurt-for the mayo-swaperoo, and then add some ranch and chicken sausage because…well…because I said so. And, because it’s ranch and chicken sausage. They’re gosh darn DELICIOUS.
And grilled sausage and ranch with grilled red potatoes? It’s a WINNER!
You know what we didn’t even discuss. The above mentioned grilled red potato-ness of this salad.
Don’t get scared. I know it’s a little bit out of the box and different than grandma’s recipe but, you guys, grilling your potatoes beforehand is the key to being the favorite side-dish bringer at the BBQ partay.
Oh, and they must be RED potatoes. Another key point to BBQ party all star-ness.
There’s smokey, grill-y yum, healthy carb-y goodness, creamy, protein yogurt-ness AND ranch and sausage.
What else do you need?
- 3 Large Red Potatoes (500 g)
- 1 Cup Chicken/turkey sausage, sliced
- ½ Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tsps Garlic, minced
- For the dressing:
- ½ Cup Non-fat, Plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Reduced-fat Buttermilk
- 2 tsps Buttermilk Ranch dressing powdered mix
- Pinch of pepper
- 2 tsp Fresh dill, minced *
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook the potatoes until they are just fork tender, about 12 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- While the potatoes boil, heat your grill to medium/high and cook the sliced chicken sausage until it just has nice grill marks, only about 1-2 minutes per side. Transfer to a boil and set aside.
- Cut the boiled potatoes into quarters** and toss with the olive oil, garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Place them onto the grill (still at medium/high heat) cut side down, and cook until they also have nice grill marks. This takes about 1-3 minutes per side. Make sure to flip them so both sides of the potato get a nice, crisp grill.
- While the potatoes are grilling, mix all the dressing ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- Toss in the grilled potatoes and sausage and stir until everything is well coated.
- DEVOUR immediately. ***
** The potatoes are easier to grill when they are a little on the chunkier side. If you would like them smaller, cut them after you grill.
***This dish is best served immediately, as the potatoes lose their crunch, and the Greek yogurt begins to dry out once it sits for a while. So, toss with the dressing just before serving.
HA! You thought the last sentence was an open ended question. NOPE!
You do need something else! A SUPER AWESOME Summer Grillin’ Prize to make this potato salad (or an awesome, outdoor eatin’ party) happen!
I’m super excited to be partnering up with a bunch of other FAB bloggers to help promote Black Gold Farms “Better With Reds” Campaign! They want to help give people ideas to get their red potato on, and get outside to eat and spend some time with family and friends!
And, now they want to help you too! So, they’re giving away some AWESOME prizes:
- 3-pound bag of red potatoes from Black Gold Farms
- 3 packages of “Roasties” (one of each flavor)
- A $500 Omaha Steaks gift card
Entry is simple! Just use the Rafflecopter widget below!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
- Fresh potato swag from Black Gold Farms and Better with Reds
- One $100 Sur la table gift card
- One $50 Amazon gift card
So many chances to win guys! I hope to see ya’ll there!
A fabulous group of bloggers has come together thanks to Brenda from A Farmgirl’s Dabbles for some #SummerFood fun. Please visit these sites for some more red potato recipe inspiration with #BetterWithReds!
A Farmgirl’s Dabbles – Grilled Red Potato Packets with Pesto Ranch Sauce
A Zesty Bite
Big Bear’s Wife – Shrimp and Red Potato Boil
Eat 2 Gather – Roasted Red Potato and Steak Breakfast Burrito
Food Faith Fitness – Grilled Red Potato Salad with Sausage and Ranch
From Captain’s Daughter to Army Mom – Oma’s Authentic German Potato Salad
Hip Foodie Mom – Summer Potato and Tomato Tart
Macaroni and Cheesecake – Cheesy Ranch Loaded Potato Casserole
Mrs. Happy Homemaker
The Country Cook – Grilled Red Potatoes and Green Beans
Please don’t forget to follow the awesome sponsors too! You’ll find tons more ideas for getting outside this Summer, as well as other recipes from great bloggers!
- Better With Reds
- Website: http://www.betterwithreds.com/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BetterWithReds
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/betterwithreds (@BetterWithReds)
- Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/BetterWithReds/
Want more side dishes?