These delicious grain and gluten free cupcakes are swirled with maple syrup, bacon and topped with Bacon Buttercream! You would never know they are Paleo!
Guess who’s only about 2% unpacked, swimming in boxes and is now packing AGAIN to go to Charleston for Mr. FFF’s brother’s wedding tomorrow?
Guess who is a teeenssyyyy tinsyy bit OH-MY-GOSH-WHY-ARE-ALL-THE-THINGS-HAPPENING-AT-ONCE-SO-MUCH-STRESSED-OUT?
If you also guessed “yours truly,” you would be, in fact, quite right.
Sidenote: Apparently it’s brother wedding season? Did I miss this memo?
How-EV-er, do you know what cures all anxiety-ridden-days-of-general-doom-gloom-and-how-will-I-get-everything-done?
Bacon. Specifically Hickory Smoked Bacon. Because you can never have enough smoky goodness on your bacon amIright?
Also, let’s just stop for a second and talk about justhowmuch am I feeling the bacon LUHVE these days. Remember when you guys were super nice and totally DID NOT JUDGE ME for cooking it for my first time with those Paleo Spaghetti Squash bowls?
Well, those strips of golden brown, crunchety, crispety pork nummies have been making their way to basically all the meals that I have been eating since then.
I actually walked up the stairs to my apartment the other day…and the whole hallway smelled like bacon.
You’re welcome neighbor friends.
Unless they don’t like bacon? IN THAT CASE, good thing I moved away from people with such questionable taste buds.
But, you know what? Bacon sometimes feels a bit left out the day’s events. Typically it gets shoveled into your face 2 STRIPS AT A TIME (don’t lie, I know it’s not just me) in the early breakfast-time hours of the day, when you’ve got no makeup on, have not showered and you’re still in your fuzzy bunny slippers.
Hypothetically. I don’t have those.
BUT, my friends, these pieces of general tasty food deliciousness are needy. They WANT to see you at your BEST self, when you’ve actually taken the time to put on your face, curl your hair and get up close and PERSONAL with the bacon goodness. THE NEED IT.
Come one, when a food is THIS yummy, it straight up deserves your best self.
And, if we’re being really honest at the level of insecurity of bacon, it NEEDS to be the very way that you end the day.
Like, in your dessert. Like, in your cupcakes all swirled together with THE REAL DEAL Maple Syrup.
Did you just hear my Canadian heart song playing, or was that just me?
P.s I don’t know what a Canadian heart song is, but I imagine it has the tune of “Oh Canadaaaaaaaaa.”
Anyway. These cupcakes. I don’t want to get too excited…BUT GET EXCITED.
I mean, we’re talking about completely PALEO FRIENDLY (hello no gluten or grains!) soft and tender little mounds of cake that are topped off with Maple BACON FAT BUTTERCREAM.
Do you want a broom to help you sweep your taste buds off the floor? Don’t worry, I am looking out for you.
These cupcakes happened 12 times. In 3 Days. BUT I COULD NOT GET SMOKEY SWEET MAPLE MOIST CUPCAKES OUT OF MY BRAIN.
So, I pressed on and continued testing cupcakes for breakfast, lunch AND DINNER. JUST FOR YOU. And so that I could without .0001% of a doubt say that they are everything that your face wants in life, wrapped up in a cute little liner.
Needy bacon was also very pleased.
Paleo Maple Bacon Gluten Free Cupcakes with Bacon Buttercream
For the cupcakes:
- 8 Slices of Zaycon Foods Fresh Premium Hickory Smoked Bacon fat reserved and refrigerated over night. *
- 2 Cups Almond Flour ** 213g
- 1/4 Cup Coconut flour 26g
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Coconut sugar
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Pure Maple syrup
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Maple extract
For the frosting:
- 1/2 Cup + 1 Tbsp Butter softened to room temperature
- 3 Tbsp Bacon fat refrigerated
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp Pure Maple syrup
- Place a large pan[/url]over medium heat, and cook the bacon until golden brown and crispy. Place a[url href=http://amzn.to/1j5QyJI target=_blank rel=nofollow]small strainer over top of a glass jar and strain the bacon fat into the jar. You will need to fat to make the frosting, but you don't want any little burned peices of bacon in it. Finely dice 4 slices of the bacon, and leave the rest intact. Set the bacon aside and place the fat into the fridge. This needs to be done the day before you plan to make the frosting, as the fat takes some time to firm up.
- Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line amuffin tinwith cupcake liners.
- In amedium bowl, stir together the almond meal, coconut flour, salt and baking powder until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and coconut sugar on high speed using an electric hand mixer, until well combined. Add in the Maple syrup, eggs, vanilla extract and maple extract. Beat until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, along with the 4 sliced of diced bacon, into the butter mixture and mix until well combined. Let the batter rest of 5 minutes to let the coconut flour begin to absorb the moisture.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, until the liners are about 3/4 of the way full. The dough is very thick, so you'll need to spread it out to get a nice, flat top.
- Bake until golden brown, and a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 22-23 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and the transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting:
- Beat the softened butter and bacon fat in a large bowl on high speed until it is light and fluffy. Pour in the Maple syrup and beat again until fluffy and well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl down as needed.
- Place the frosting into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes. Chop up remaining bacon and place on top for garnish.
- DEVOUR ***
Recipe Notes* You probably won't use ALL 8 slices of bacon, as some is only for garnish, but you do need to cook enough bacon to make enough fat for the icing.
** Gluten free baking is very precise so I HIGHLY recommend that you measure the flours.
*** Store cupcakes in the refrigerator, and then bring back to room temperature when ready to serve. These are also GREAT right out of the refrigerator!
FOR THIS RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
This post is sponsored by Zaycon Foods. Thank you for allowing me to continue keep creating great content for you by supporting partnerships with brands that FFF loves to work with!
Find out when products are available by following along with Zaycon Foods on Social media:
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TAG @FOODFAITHFIT AND #FOODFAITHFITNESS ON INSTRAGRAM! I LOVE SEEING YOUR RECIPE RECREATIONS!
Want more Paleo-Friendly treats?
Paleo Chocolate Lava Cakes
Deep Dish Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Skillet Hazelnut Paleo Brownies
STAY IN DA KNOW WITH THINGS GOING ON AT FFF (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!