An easy, healthy ice cream recipe with pomegranate seeds and dark chocolate chunks. You’d never know this creamy ice cream is low fat!
I’m going to get a little sappy on you. Just for a sec though, I promise. DON’T RUN AWAY!
This recipe is really special to me because the idea is 100% Mr. FFF’s. I mean, I created the actual recipe and did the pictures and all that jazz, but he thought it up. I figured it would be a perfect day to post something that he came up with because:
- It’s almost Valentines day, and I love him, so it works.
- We are leaving on a weekend cruise to the Bahamas in 3 hours to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary so I am super excited with a side of sap and mush!
Side note: His other Valentines day “idea” was chocolate covered strawberries.
Because that has never been done before. You clearly see why I chose this one.
Creativity is not generally a trait that the hubs possesses.
See, I promised only sappy for a sec.
Ok, like I just told you we are leaving for a cruise TODAY, like in a couple hours and I am SO excited! I have never been on one before and we wanted to go big or go home for our 1 year because it took A LOT of work to get ourselves married, and the past year has been crazy. I mean, all marriages have an element of crazy, but let me give you the super quick run down of me and Mr.FFF. I promisepromisepromise we will get to the food.
Me and the hubs (his name is Caleb by the way, but I never call him that. You know this) met on a dating website called Christian Mingle. He lived in Nebraska and I lived in Vancouver, Canada. When he messaged me, I had no idea where Nebraska was (I thought NE stood for New England. Geography=not my friend.) and I honestly tried to make him stop messaging me as I figured it would never work. I mean, we lived in different countries. LONG LONG story short, he harassed me and I kinda fell in love with him (as much as you can fall in love with someone over Skype.) and he eventually flew to Canada to meet me. We both knew this was it and decided to figure out a way to make this thang real.
After he went back to Nebraska, we spent 2 months apart and then I flew to Nebraska to meet his family. We ended up driving back to Canada ( a 3 day drive after really only having about 1 week of “real life” time together…talk about a relationship test!) and he moved in with my family in Canada, until he found a job in Washington state. I was lucky to live very close to the border.
So, one day, I prayed that if he was the one that God wanted me to be with, he would get a job in the closest possible city to the border, so that we could see each other on a regular basis. Guess what? The ONLY job offer he got was from that city, and it was the very next day! I knew it was a done deal. We spent 5 months dating and having to cross customs 4 zillion times a week until we finally got engaged.
The past year has been filled with lots of paperwork and stress in order for me to get my Green card, and it all ended with a super scary interview at the US Consulate. Top that off with moving for my very first time EVER, and it was a huge move (Vancouver, BC to Florida, USA.) Needless to say, it’s been crazy and we are stoked to relax, even just for a few days.
I guess that was kind of long. Sorry. I get into it when I am talking about the huberoni. Yes, I call him that in real life.
No, he does not like it.
Ok. Ice cream. I know, there’s that thing called The Polar Vortex, or whatever, happening outside you window and the LAST thing that you want to do is eat ice cream. But, seriously guys, this is worth it! The base is just a classic vanilla BUT it is completely egg-free and way way WAY lower fat than your typical ice cream, but still has ALL the creaminess. The dark chocolate and pomegranate seeds add the perfect sweetness, crunch, and “hi I’m pretty” factor that is worth bearing the cold for. I pinky swear with both pinkies AND my pinky toes.
If all else fails, maybe it will push you over the edge into hypothermia and then you won’t even feel the cold.
Don’t answer that.
P.s There’s vanilla vodka.
OK CRUISE TIME! See ya’ll Monday….and Monday is going to be a very exciting day indeed.
- 1 1/2 Cups Fat free half and half
- 1/2 Cup Milk (I used 1%)
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla vodka*
- 3 Tbsp Pomegranate seeds
- 3 Tbsp Dark chocolate, chopped
- In alarge pot, combine the half and half, milk, sugar and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and remaining milk until smooth and well combined.
- Once the milk mixture is boiling, stir in the cornstarch and whisk quickly to avoid the cornstarch becoming lumpy. Cook on medium heat, stiring constantly, until the mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon (5-7 mins.)
- Take the pot off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and vodka. Let cool to room temperature.
- Let the ice cream base chill in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours and then process according to the manufacturers directions on your ice cream maker (My Kitchenaid Ice cream Attachment took 30mins.)
- In the final minutes of processing, add in the pomegranate seeds and chopped dark chocolate.
- Serve right away as soft serve or let the ice cream harden a bit in the freezer for an hour or two.
Want more Homemade ice cream?
STAY IN DA KNOW (AND GET SPECIAL BEHIND-THE-SCENES INFO) BY FOLLOWING ALONG WITH FFF ON PINTEREST, FACEBOOK, AND TWITTER!
This post may contain affiliate links, but I only recommend products that I actually use and <3. Thanks for supporting FFF!