This Hawaiian Pizza Burger is a fun spin on the classic pizza dish that is quick, easy and great for kids! Perfect for Summer grilling!
Guess what we’re doing today?!
Celebrating ANOTHER food holiday! Yep, it’s National Burger Day today!
Are you really surprised?
It’s all about a party up in hur’.
We should start our own holiday, whatcha think? I’m up for suggestions – Let’s hear ‘em!
Now that we’ve addressed the “why” of this burger, let’s address the most important thing:
The face plant ability.
Whoa guys, this baby? She (or he, whatever. I don’t really understand calling objects by a gender. I mean, HOW DO YOU KNOW?) is a beaut.
And by beaut, I mean the huberoni said it was one of the best burgers his face has ever munched on. And, you guys, that man, he has had his fair share of burgers in his life.
It’s not like he was all “OH WOW that is the best piece of eggplant I have ever nom nomed.” That wouldn’t be all that credible, as he doesn’t eat eggplant. Ever.
Anyway. Off track.
I know that I JUST made you a burger not even a week ago, buuut it’s Summer, so burgers = necessary. And, I may or may not be still making up for the fact that I made Mr. FFF eat a veggie burger as his first burger in Florida.
Hint: I am.
Last week I said that I redeemed myself, but this is the EPIC SEQUEL of redemption you guys.
It’s Pizza. But..it’s a burger. WHOA. Did your taste buds just fall off your head?
AND, these bad boys are so simple to make. Smoosh around a little ground beef (or my favorite: bison!) with some yum-a-licious spices and oats, form it into a patty and you’ve done the hardest part! HEYO.
You could get totally AWESOME and make your own bun and your own pizza sauce (which would be ULTRA impressive) but, this girl don’t got time for such things. So grab your favorite (whole wheat!) hamburger buns, dress ‘er up with your favorite pizza sauce and call it yum. Or dinner. Whatever.
Oh, don’t forget the grilled ham and pineapple (<3) because those are kiiinda the main ingredients in making this thang “luau appropriate”
Whatever that means. You understand.
Do a little dance, grill a little love (in burger form) and get Hawaiian Pizza Burger down tonight.
Again, you understand. Maybe.
- For the burger:
- 1.5 lbs Ground bison (or lean ground beef)
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Generous pinch of ground pepper
- 1/2 Cup Rolled, old fashioned oats.
- 6-12 Rings of pineapple (depending how much pineapple flavour you want)
- 6 Slices thick-cut, cooked ham
- 3 oz Reduced-fat Mozzarella cheese
- Pizza sauce
- 6 Whole wheat hamburger buns
- To make the burger:
- Mix together the bison,egg, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and oats in alarge bowl. Mix well to make sure the oats are well distributed. Let the meat sit while you prep the toppings.
- Heat your grillto high heat and grill the pineapple rings until they have that "grilled" look, about 2-3 minutes a side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Now, do the same with the ham as the pineapple. Again, cover to keep warm.
- Turn the heat down to medium and cook the burgers, until desired done-ness. I did mine 5 mins/ side and placed the cheese on in the final two minutes after flipping. Transfer to a plate to cover and keep warm.
- Turn the heat up to High and place the buns face-side down on the grill until lightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes.
- To assemble:
- Spread as much pizza sauce on each side of the buns as you like. Then top with 1 slice of ham, one burger patty, and then 2 sliced of grilled pineapple.
And don’t forget to enter the Organic Matcha Green Tea Giveaway!
Want more dinner ideas?