A super quick and easy, kid friendly chicken recipe, wrapped in bacon and topped with a healthy avocado salsa!
Are you confused? “Turkey on chicken, Taylor?” you say, “are you crazy?”
You already know the answer to that, so I am not addressing that part of the question.
However, poultry A + poultry B = <3. My new favoritest chicken ever. Until next week when I make my newest favoritest ever. But, let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
It’s like this. First, you spread on the roasted garlic. If you have never roasted garlic before you are missing.out.on.life. It is so easy and makes ALMOST any meal over the top yummmm. Second,You wrap the chicken in the turkey bacon (we all know that anything bacon, even if it has never oinked in it’s life, is delish) and then you sear it in oil. Oil + bacon + heat = the outside of your chicken is wrapped in a crispy, crunchy, perfectly salty hug. And the actual chicken breast? It stays so juicy and tender as it is has the bacon to protect it from direct heat. Plus, the subbing turkey bacon makes it all super healthy and stuff.
I’ve never met a chicken breast that doesn’t like a) to be shielded from being scorched and b) healthiness and c) hugs.
So, basically you’ve got one happy chicken breast. And, happy food is good food.
Then, the avocado salsa arrives at the party. It has a creamy texture that perfectly balances out the crispy turkey bacon, and the tomatoes hit it with the perfect pop of freshness. Plus, it is just super duper easy.
I was originally going to puree the chutney into a sauce, but then logic actually got the better of me for once. Avocado + tomato + blender = thick, green, chunky, looks-like-chicken-just-went-swimming-with-swamp-people sauce. Not so yummy.
Moral of the whole store? Poultry on poultry = winner winner chicken dinner.
- For the chicken:
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 2 Slices of turkey bacon (could sub regular bacon as well)
- 10 Cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbsp. + ½ tsp. Olive oil, divided
- For the Salsa:
- ½ a large avocado, chopped
- ¼ Cup red onion, diced
- 2 Tbsps. Green onion, diced.
- 1 tsp. White wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel away the extra, papery skin from the garlic cloves and place them in a piece of tinfoil that is large enough to wrap them in.
- Drizzle with the ½ tsp. olive oil and wrap tightly. Bake for 30 minutes, until they are soft.
- Once the garlic is done, take it out of the tinfoil and squeeze each clove out of its skin and put them in a small bowl.
- Mash the garlic up into a paste, and spread it evenly on top of each chicken breast.
- Take one piece of turkey bacon and wrap it around a chicken breast, securing with toothpicks if needed. Repeat with the additional breast.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of olive oil in a large pan over medium/high heat.
- Brown the chicken on all sides, about 1 minute per side, and then transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until it is no longer pink inside.
- While the chicken bakes, dice up the avocado, red onion and green onion. Throw it all into a medium bowl and toss with 1 tsp. white wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- When the chicken is cooked, divide the avocado salsa evenly on top of each breast and devour!
Want more bacon wrapped goodness?