A quick and easy butternut squash soup with creamy coconut milk and a curry kick. Perfect for cold, Fall evenings!
Just to continue my whole theory that the Fall is the season for ethnicy-flavours, I present you with curried soup.
Even if you oppose my flavour theory, there is no way in this entire universe that you can oppose that soup is a good idea for the Fall. It just is, and everyone knows that.
But, it’s an even better idea when it involves creamy, sweet coconut milk and spicy, warm curry powder.
Did I mention that is has butternut squash? Ya’ll know how I feel about squash of any kind. I <3 it with all my being. Plus, It is the perfect vegetable for the fall. What is a little different about this soup from a traditional curried butternut squash soup is that I roasted the squash first. Usually, the squash is simmered with the broth when it is raw. However, pre-roasting it in coconut oil gives it an extra richness that makes me want to eat bowls of soup eryyydayyy alll dayyy. Plus, you avoid accidentally over simmering it and having it break down into a pot of baby-food. Yuck.
So, have a bowl (or 5) of soup that has the perfect sweet with a little bit of heat. And, you know what, if you’re still against my ethnicy flavour theory, skip the curry powder.
But, please, eat soup.
You know what they say “curried butternut soup is good for the soul.”
That might actually be chicken soup, but I like this better.
- 1 Medium (2-3 lb.) butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 3 Tbsps. Coconut oil, melted
- 2 Cups White onion, roughly chopped
- 1.5 Tbsps. Garlic, diced
- 4 Cups Sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2.5 Tsps. Yellow curry powder
- ¾ Cup Light coconut milk
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop the squash into 2 inch chunks and toss with 2 Tbsps. of melted coconut oil.
- Spread the squash evenly on a baking sheet, and bake for 30-35 minutes, until fork tender.
- While the squash roasts, roughly chop the onion and garlic and heat the remaining 1 Tbsps. of melted coconut oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Sautee the onion and garlic until they are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add in 4 cups of chicken broth, salt, curry powder and the roasted squash. Simmer until the squash begins to break down, about 10 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, break down the squash and mix until it is well combined.
- In batches, transfer the soup to a blender (or you could use an immersion blender) and puree until smooth.
- Pour the soup back into the pot and stir in the ¾ cup of coconut milk.
- Garnish with cilantro and devour!
Want more soup?